ugh

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lsknc

Little Sugar Chinchillas
i recieved an email yesturday from a person wanting me to come and get her baby chinchilla. after talking with her a while i finally just go and take a look. i get there and she has two really nice melamine cages with five females(inculding the baby) in one and five males in the other. we talked some more and she tells me that we just seperated all the males and females, meaning she had them all mixed in these two cages.
the baby in question is a light ebony, i saw her mom and she was a beauty, she is 4 month old and has been living with several proven males in this gaint cage. i am fairly certin that she is pregnant so my question(s) is:

what do i need to watch out for?

is there anything extra i should give her?

i've never dealt with anything so young pregnant before so i'm worried about her. i just cant believe this person who called herself a 'breeder' of five years would allow such a thing....i still need to name the baby.

Not a whole lot you can do but watch and wait. Treat her like you would any other pregnant mom. Make sure she's got adequate intake of pellets, hay, and water, and possibly check into a proven, safe supplement to give her a little boost (Ryerson's is a good one).

I don't understand how stupid people's animals survive, when they obviously could give a fat rat's *** but people who actually care about their animals end up with all the heartache.

kayla,
why are you sure she is pregnant? if she is only 4 months old she could not be at the point that you can feel kits even if she is pregnant...

i wanted to pm you but you do not have a contact tab.

just curious.

good luck.

I'm guessing she's going by the fact that she was the only female in a cage full of proven males, not so much by palpation. I would anticipate that she is to, and be ready for it, just in case.

i agree it is best to assume she is and prepare for the worst i just couldn't understand why kayla said she was "certain"

I'm guessing she's going by the fact that she was the only female in a cage full of proven males, not so much by palpation. I would anticipate that she is to, and be ready for it, just in case.

its a strong guess. all the males were proven in the cage she was in. she was born in early november(even if that is her right birthday) and knowing my luck she probably is. i seem to have all the worst luck when it comes to rescues.

Oh i hope not. Poor thing. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Back