Two chins chasing eachother like crazy

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kara315

Is it normal for two chins to chase eachother like crazy some nights? my two chins just started doing this maybe about a month ago, not everynight, but it seems to occur more all of the sudden. They chase eachother really fast but don't seem to get aggressive towards eachother, I see some fur on the floor after but never seem then pull at eachother or get physical, so i'm assuming it's just from them jumping around and running around fast as if they are playing.
Anyone else have their chins do this?
I've watched them because at first I thought they were fighting but it seems they just chase eachother, stop and then start again, and then during the day are all snuggled up together like normal.

My 2 male chins do chase each other like crazy sometimes. They have been living together for about 2 months after a very long introduction period (2-3 months), and there are days/nights that out of the blue they chase each other like crazy, jumping up and down , making tons of noise, banging things around, the whole cage is shaking! Usually they do not make any noise while chasing each other, so it tells me that they are not in fear/pain, so we just let them be. But there were nights that i would gently/firmly told them to "calm down" , "slow don", "hey, be nice", and they would slow down or stop and start chasing each other again. I do notice that one of the chins might want to mount the other one which causes the chase, as long as I hear no fearful/painful noise, I see no aggression, I see no major fur slip, i just let them be.
And yes, my chins still snuggle together the next day after all the chase, sometimes i feel like they are so inseperable :)

Chasing is a sign of aggression and so is fur pulling. If you are seeing little puffs of fur on the floor, then someone tried to take a nip off someone else. Be VERY observant, you are probably going to have seperate them.
My guess is you got them as babies and they were fine together but now they are hitting chinnie "puberty" (around 6-9 months old?) that is usually when they will start fighting for dominance.
If you are VERY lucky, one will be more submissive and they can work things out. Most times there will be bloodshed or worse because neither will give in.
Keep a sharp eye out and have a second cage ready.

Chasing is a sign of aggression and so is fur pulling. If you are seeing little puffs of fur on the floor, then someone tried to take a nip off someone else. Be VERY observant, you are probably going to have seperate them.
My guess is you got them as babies and they were fine together but now they are hitting chinnie "puberty" (around 6-9 months old?) that is usually when they will start fighting for dominance.
If you are VERY lucky, one will be more submissive and they can work things out. Most times there will be bloodshed or worse because neither will give in.
Keep a sharp eye out and have a second cage ready.

I've had them for six years. I don't even know if the pieces of hair I see are from them pulling at eachother though, I've never seen them physically pull it out or even touch eachother, more that they chase eachother and at times don't chase eachother but just start jumping around like crazy with eachother. During the day they snuggle together and even at night when they aren't doing the chase they are always close while eating and don't make any noises at eachother.

My 2 male chins do chase each other like crazy sometimes. They have been living together for about 2 months after a very long introduction period (2-3 months), and there are days/nights that out of the blue they chase each other like crazy, jumping up and down , making tons of noise, banging things around, the whole cage is shaking! Usually they do not make any noise while chasing each other, so it tells me that they are not in fear/pain, so we just let them be. But there were nights that i would gently/firmly told them to "calm down" , "slow don", "hey, be nice", and they would slow down or stop and start chasing each other again. I do notice that one of the chins might want to mount the other one which causes the chase, as long as I hear no fearful/painful noise, I see no aggression, I see no major fur slip, i just let them be.
And yes, my chins still snuggle together the next day after all the chase, sometimes i feel like they are so inseperable :)

I'll have to watch and see if I can see how the hair gets out, it's not a ton of hair or anything, and I don't hear any painful noises come out of them. It's just strange lol, never happened before and all of the sudden they go crazy jumping/running all over the cage and are playing tag with eachother lol.

My boys do the same thing. When they are out for playtime, their favorite game is to chase each other through their cardboard tunnel. They chase back and forth for most of the time they are out. They do it in their cage too occasionally. It's usually just playing for them. They have never gotten aggressive with each other.

You may never hear a "painful noise" from them even if they try to kill each other. Chinchillas are pray and therefore, hide illness and injury. I have had one savagely attacked by another female (almost killed her and it only took a couple of seconds). she never made a sound and I was right next to the cage when it happened. It started with chasing and a few seconds later, the damage was done. If yours are chasing each other that much and some fur is being slipped, I would definitely keep a very close eye on things.

Is there any cage that can be split into two? I'm fine with having another cage just incase, but if I ever had to split them, It'd be easier to have one big cage, then two, as I don't have a ton of extra room for another cage. Is the ferret nation or one of those types able to be closed off, one on top one on bottom?
If so, would that be bad to have them that close, even though they won't be able to see eachother, but able to sense or smell the other? And would that be enough room for the one to jump around a bit?

Last edited:
FN's are perfect for pairs, just for the fact that they can be divided easily and quickly if necessary. There's plenty of room in each compartment and it won't bother them at all to live one on top of the other, since they won't be able to see each other. I have two girls that hate each other divided in one right now and they are perfectly happy.

FN's are perfect for pairs, just for the fact that they can be divided easily and quickly if necessary. There's plenty of room in each compartment and it won't bother them at all to live one on top of the other, since they won't be able to see each other. I have two girls that hate each other divided in one right now and they are perfectly happy.

How can you easily split in two private parts? Is there a piece that comes with it incase. I thought I noticed an opening between the two for it to be one level. Is it hard to put something there to create two private homes?

*Update*
On a good note, they didn't do it last night. And all day were snuggled together. I noticed some people have a tv/radio etc....on for them. I never tried since I sleep in the same room as them. But remembered a fish "aquarium" I got as a gift a long time ago, you plug it in and the fish slowly move, they are fake and it makes ocean noises. I tried it last night and I don't know if it "soothed" them or what, but they didn't chase eachother or anything, and have yet to do so tonight as well. I have the radio on for them right now. I use to not take them out everyday either for playtime and will try to do that, and make it a little longer. Maybe they are just tired of being cooped up. But it's looking a little better. But I'm thinking of just buying a FN incase I need to split it easily.

The is a cut out. I'm sure some people do it different ways for me I just turned my pan around so the cut out on the pan was at the side of the cage where there was no through hole and put a chiller under where the pan cut out was so noone could be reachin through and losing toes. It's that simple just turn the pan around or switch the bottom pan for the top.

The is a cut out. I'm sure some people do it different ways for me I just turned my pan around so the cut out on the pan was at the side of the cage where there was no through hole and put a chiller under where the pan cut out was so noone could be reachin through and losing toes. It's that simple just turn the pan around or switch the bottom pan for the top.

Wow, I didn't even think of that lol. Thanks.

I was wondering the same thing about my boys... my bonded pair get along really well but as soon as my single chin has playtime I have to be really careful to make sure Sid doesn't come up to the cage to sniff at Silver Chin, the second they touch noses through the cage Silver goes into a blind rage and chases Baby Dragon around the cage like a madman.

Mine been together for 7 months, they are 1 1/2 (Chichi) and 1 (Charlie) years old. Twice I noticed the older one chase the younger one. They always slept together, but after the first time Charlie slept down in the FN182. I closed the cages with an extra divider, because I thought, better save than sorry, but the chins were really upset. So I opened it back up, things went right back to normal. The chase happened one more time, but even after they were hanging out. So not sure, if it's aggression or play, but still keeping a close eye on them. Also thought, if I would have to separate them again, I would only put a piece of wood where the opening is, just a little more convenient and faster.

Latest posts

Back