Two chinchillas together

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreenbmp

double chin trouble
We just introduced our two chinchillas (both male) together for the first time during play time out of the cage, they did not fight, or make any alarming noises, just a bunch of sniffing (and humping LOL) and running around. but one thing that we could not figure out:

Our first chinchilla (he is older and bigger) started biting our newest chinchilla around the neck and back area, not hard, it was soft almost like grooming him even though I know this is not what it is... and our new chinchilla was submitting to it, letting the older chinchilla do this. The new chinchilla was closing his eyes and cocking his head, almost like he was enjoying it. Does anyone know what this is? We keep breaking them up when it happens.

introducing2.jpg

This is almost exactly what it looks like.

I personally wouldn't break them up, it sounds like the one chin is grooming the other. Both of my pairs (one is very new) do this all the time! I actually think not only is it not harmful but it is a way that they bond closer and show affection and trust to each other.

EDIT: yep after seeing the pic you posted that is definitely grooming!! I would definitely let them do it, sounds like they are getting along really well!

Oh wow, I guess i didn't think they would be that interactive just being introduced! That's awesome! thank you!

They have separate cages, how long do you think we should wait before we cage them together? since you have experience in this

isn't it exciting! If you read the thread I just posted (I think right below this one) you will see that I had an amazingly quick introduction between two of my chins! They started cuddling and grooming almost immediately :) still make sure you keep a close eye on them though, just in case

well what I did was, since the play time went so well, put them in a little carrier together an drive around for a bit. And since they cuddled the ENTIRE time I was driving, I decided to go for it (even though this is quicker than recommended). I cleaned all of their stuff while they cuddled in the carrier and changed the fleece and put them in the cage. They have been happily cuddling ever since! :)

The young ones I've been introducing often do that. It seems to be them begging the other chin to be their friend. The really little ones also squeak a bunch while doing it as if they are telling the bigger chin they are just little babies who want to be friends and please don't start a fight.

Is it normal for the older chinchilla (the one we had first) to constantly hump the new one? He does it all the time, will this stop later in time?

As long as the humping doesn't turn into fighting it should be okay. My already bonded pair do that occasionally, but since they're newly together keep a close eye on it cause a fight can start easily!

Back