Twitching?!?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mable

Chin Mommy :)
I have adopted a white mosaic female from a nearby shelter. she has had a hard life and was rescued from abusive owners.. she was in a cage with several dozen chinchillas(both male and female) and being fed bird seed!!!!!:hair: .. A few days after i had her she gave birth to a beautiful beige male kit who is not 7 weeks and a bundle of joy... but my question is that even before she had the baby when i use to take her out and still now when i do.. she shakes really hard and does a twitching thing with her head and eyes .. and then pees :( idk what to do... has anyone experience this with their chins?

She's terrified. Be patient with her, give her lots of time to adjust. She's had a bad life and it's showing in her behavior.

I had a black velvet who did the same thing when I first got chins. I was panicked, took her to the vet, figured something horrible was going on neurologically. She was fine as long as I didn't hold her. He found nothing wrong. I called the breeders I got her from and they reassured me with time she would adjust to being handled. Well, she did and she didn't. As long as it was only me holding her, she was fine. If anybody else did, she still shook and twitched. Maeve never urinated, but I would imagine it's all part and parcel of the fear, much like a kicked dog will urinate because it's scared.

Aww poor little thing, shes scared. When i had Dotty she did a wee on the the carpet just takes time i think :)

i havnt had to deal with such a thing, but my first guess would be what tunes said. The chin is probably extremly scared. Chances are something unpleasent happened to her often when she got out of the cage, to the point where she now expects it. (so sad)

Their is no over night cure for such a thing. Just be very very patient, give lots and lots of time. And try never to put any preassure on her. Let her feel as comfortable as possible

Thanks guys I figured that... I just wish she would know shes ok now and has me :(... I will post pictures up soon of my four beautiful babies :)

Latest posts

Back