Twitching

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmandaDi

You Have No Idea!
I just lost a chin through the night and I was curious if any of you have any idea what may have happened. I am having a necro done Monday, but I am at a loss and would like some ideas.

Supposedly for the last 3 days or so my mother noticed this chin twitching and said it wasnt the normal popcorn twitch thing chins do. I went in each time and of course I didn't see it. She wasn't eating as well the last few days either, but I assumed it was just a phase... I have other chins that go a few days at a time where they either eat a lot or very little. After noticing this chin was NOT doing well around midnight we got her out to get some sugar into her and see what else could be done. It was then that we noticed she was drooling. I had been in there that evening and didnt notice anything strange ... she looked at me when I came in, eyes clear, but I did not see under her chin.

This chin has been mean for the last year or so. One of those who pees on you if you walk by... hisses... stuff like that. So she isn't handled often. After I got her out last night I felt around and nothing seemed abnormal and she didn't show signs of pain, but the twitching was very obvious!

Any ideas? Neurological was the only thing I could think of. She was too far gone for the after hours clinic to be able to do anything either, I knew I was going to lose her. I just would really like to know what may have gone wrong. Ive never experienced this before.

That's too sad!! Poor girl =( I'm sorry for your loss
I wish I knew what was wrong but I'm afraid I don't. :( Could the twitches have been seizures?

This is a shot in the dark, but twitching is usually liked to nuerological issues. perhaps her personality problems were linked to a nuerological problesm that led to the twitching that got her in the end. Happens in other species. I have seen it in dogs, people and rats. sometimes due to an outside force (trauma/abuse) and sometimes just a birth defect. with age the body has a lowered resistance to it and eventually can be overcome by the nuerological problem, or an outside force can affect it and agitate it. even something that is routine ot looks inocent.
for all we know she may have bounce in her cage, hit her head and that was in. a little sweeling of the brain can do a ton of damage. the inside of the skull is not smooth and if the brain hits it it can rip chunks off. If you hit your head on one side the other side gets damaged due to a "bouncing effect" the force of a tap can slide your brain in the fluid to hit one side, then the pressure of the movent of the fluid often forces it to the other side. There is a technical term for this but I do not want to bore anyone. ( I have my degree in Psychology with an emphasis in Behavioral and Nueroscience and worked in a nueroscience lab for over 2 years at Nothern Illinios University)

This is a shot in the dark, but twitching is usually liked to nuerological issues. perhaps her personality problems were linked to a nuerological problesm that led to the twitching that got her in the end. Happens in other species. I have seen it in dogs, people and rats. sometimes due to an outside force (trauma/abuse) and sometimes just a birth defect. with age the body has a lowered resistance to it and eventually can be overcome by the nuerological problem, or an outside force can affect it and agitate it. even something that is routine ot looks inocent.
for all we know she may have bounce in her cage, hit her head and that was in. a little sweeling of the brain can do a ton of damage. the inside of the skull is not smooth and if the brain hits it it can rip chunks off. If you hit your head on one side the other side gets damaged due to a "bouncing effect" the force of a tap can slide your brain in the fluid to hit one side, then the pressure of the movent of the fluid often forces it to the other side. There is a technical term for this but I do not want to bore anyone. ( I have my degree in Psychology with an emphasis in Behavioral and Nueroscience and worked in a nueroscience lab for over 2 years at Nothern Illinios University)

ummm what she said lol.

but seriously, You'll probably just have to wait till monday. There are a few different things and maybe what happened no one would even be able to begin to guess. Either way, take a breath and try to relax until then-I know you've been stressing over this...:hug2:

Preliminary results of the necro came back as fatty liver disease. He said could exhibit symptoms similar to neuro problems. He said they did three sections of the brain and all of them came back fine. He asked about her diet. He said that the alffy base might have been too rich for her. He obviously asked if I give treats, and I dont, so thats not it. Otherwise he said he cant think of anything else that would cause it. He said they will call back when the final results come in.

I'd think diet too if that is what he found. Sorry you lost her. How long did you have her? It is possible it was pre existing before you got her...if she was born at your place, then I can only think feed...

She was born here, but was sold when she was a kit. She came back to me last year after her owner sold out. She would have been 3 this year. Maybe it was something from the home she was at, though I was pretty sure she was feeding quality food.

Back