Tube making Question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broderp

Those who make tubes for chins:

What size works best? I made a real nice tube but I think its too small. (4")

My chins fit, but barely (one at a time) so they don't really use it.

Also (and more important) is there a tutorial or instruction on how to cover them in fleece? I made a nice one, (I'll post pics later when I get home) but I'd like to see other (easier?) ways of securing the fleece and mounding the tube.

I'd like to have:
* removable fleece for washing
* Easy install and removal
* A mounting system that will not hurt my chins when they run though it. (I'm afraid bolt heads sticking inside will hurt them)

Thanks for any input.

i would think using a screw with a tube instead of a hanging bolt would work better, and then the screw head could be under the fleece and next to the tube, making very little of a bump. a washer and a wingnut outside the cage should be all you need, and that would make install/removal quite easy.

i would think using a screw with a tube instead of a hanging bolt would work better, and then the screw head could be under the fleece and next to the tube, making very little of a bump. a washer and a wingnut outside the cage should be all you need, and that would make install/removal quite easy.

I must be paranoid, cause I was thinking the screw head itself would be a problem on the inside. I was thinking of designing a bracket for hanging. lol

Wow, I must really be over thinking this. As an engineer, I suppose it's in my nature. :bangdesk: I measured and cut and sewed like crazy (not to shabby for guy) and even made a zipper to close it up. :wacko:

I was wanting to make it as stream lined as possible as I thought the chins would see the folded over fleece and think "chew time".

4" diameter seems a bit small. But I couldn't find any 6" or 8" pipe without shellng out a ton of cash.

Thanks for the link.

Keep in mind I'm not a chin person, but a zipper makes me think "chew time." Or "Oh look something shiny with a nifty tab"

I must be paranoid, cause I was thinking the screw head itself would be a problem on the inside. I was thinking of designing a bracket for hanging. lol.

I thought the same thing when I started making the tube covers. I managed to solve the issue by sandwitching the bolt head between the inside of the tube and the inner layer of fleece.

I was wanting to make it as stream lined as possible as I thought the chins would see the folded over fleece and think "chew time".

4" diameter seems a bit small. But I couldn't find any 6" or 8" pipe without shellng out a ton of cash.

A lot of people (myself included) use the cardboard tubes from pet stores that are 6" diam X 10" long. So far, 4 out of my 5 do not chew, pee or otherwise destroy them. The long term problem is going to be the holes in the tube becoming larger from stress of weight on the bolts. I'm guessing drilling new holes on the other side will solve the issue till the next time.. Since the tubes are only $5 or so, not a lot to lose.;)

a pvc or metal tube would solve the problem, instead of using a cardboard tube that will lose it's integrity over time/get peed on and go mushy. i'm going to use a coffee can when i go to make my own tube.

and i agree, a zipper says 'chew me!' to a chin for sure.

Back