Truck People... question about 4x4 vs 2WD

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnnShh

So, I bought a truck a year ago. An F-150 STX with 2WD. I really wanted a 4WD truck but it was a great deal and I really didn't think I would miss the 4WD.

Now that it's spring time, I am really wishing I had a 4WD truck. Not only would it be awesome to be able to drive it out to the lake (you have to drive on sand, which sometimes gets pretty rutty and sloppy) http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7146/6402180859_75763dc280.jpg, but there are times where it would be handy to take it through some trails in the woods for practical reasons (to assist with our training labs). The trails are wide enough for a truck but can have some good size ruts in them or be sloppy if it rains, and there is sometimes brush in the way too.

I am worried that my 2WD truck could get stuck in both of those situations.

So, the question is- do you find 4WD is really better? Am I correct to assume that my truck would probably get stuck if I drove it in those situations? Are there any modifications I can make to make it better? Am I nuts to think about trading in this truck for a 4WD and owing more money? My father paid my truck off so that I wouldn't have debt/loans w/ interest but I owe him $4000 still on that payment.

You are not going to be able to replace having 4WD. You can put some grippier tires on the back, but you will never get any pull from the front. I am not familiar with driving on sand, but I have been "muddin'" more times than I can count. The cost/benefit is up to you , but from my experience, the first time you don't have the 4WD, you will cuss yourself. I know I did.

I really am kicking myself for not buying a 4WD. And now my only option would be to trade in and spend more $$$$ on a 4WD...
There have been so many instances, especially in the last few months, where a 4WD would have been awesome and so much less of a headache. Either me needing to get myself and other people to an area where I was too afraid to bring my truck due to the possibility of it getting stuck, or having a friend ask me to pull his stuck truck out (I told him no, obviously, as I didn't trust mine not to get equally as stuck). Everyone assumes my truck is 4WD and asks for help doing various things that would require it and I have to tell them it's only 2WD. Probably the worst impulse decision I have made. I reallly regret not waiting for the right deal on a 4WD.

I went offroading with a friend (him in his jeep, me in my small suv) last summer. I have 4wd that can be turned on in my blazer. Where we were at was a lot of sand, through the woods, and some absolute wet mush (we covered a bit of distance). I thought oh, I can do this without the 4wd and within minutes I was stuck in the sand, and I had nicely dug myself into a rut. Had to be pulled out my by friend. Turned on the 4wd and I was able to handle the dry creekbed and most of the rest of the trail myself... but that was with the 4wd. Without it? Forget it.

I just had on the regular stock tires for my blazer, so I didn't have any help there, but there were definitely times the 4wd was absolutely necessary. The creekbed would not have been do-able with 2wd. And then, we had a situation where I was going down an steep incline with sort of an edge to the top and the back bumper caught on the edge rather than dropped down to the lower level....lifting the back wheels off the ground. Without the front wheels to pull me forward and drag that bumper off of the edge... I wouda been stuck there. So 4wd is definitely a plus.

Living in South Dakota, not having 4WD is almost an alien concept. Pretty much everyone has a 4WD something, whether it's for the winter or going through the fields or woods. There is nothing you can do, as Jer pointed out, to make up for the lack of a 4WD with a 2WD. The pull just isn't there. I paid a staggering amount (to me anyway) to buy my 4WD Expedition, and it was worth every single cent. I'm still driving her 11 years later and she works every bit as well as she did on day one. :)

I am worried that my 2WD truck could get stuck in both of those situations.
You can get a winch. The places I've taken my cars would give people heart attacks. The key is to know the limits of the vehicle by taking it out and having a good run. 2WD trucks are horribly unbalanced unless weighted. The more weight you've got the less you'll spin out. :))

I never saw the point of haveing a 2wd truck. If you want a truck get a 4wd. I go mudding and off roading all the time and you just can't beat it. Beaches are always a challange even with 4wd, and most times there all you have to winch out with is other peoples vehicles. So someone had better have 4wd. You can haul more wnith it, haul better, and not have as much worry. The 3 yrs I didn't have 4wd I kicked my self. In pa we get lots of snow and ice and I just couldn't make it to or from work without. I have a lifted jeep wrangler which goes everywhere, and a ford ranger. The ranger I really like cause they can haul the same as a f 150 but get better gas milage. I have 50lbs of pebbles in the back along my rear tires to help with traction, I'm heavey on the gas and spinwith a empty bed. I have used the stones from time to time as well to get ou of slick areas, cause I don't have a winch on my truck like I do my jeep. I would look for a 4wd in your area if you feel you might run into places where you could need it. I've found its better to have it than find out you are stuck and don't have it.

Yeah, when people find out my truck is not 4WD they all comment "why would you buy a truck without it!?"

My dad told me to wait until I graduate before trading in and getting a 4WD. I won't know where I'll be stationed until next summer- it could be anywhere in the US or abroad. But I will for sure want to have the 4WD if I am anywhere north of VA.

I guess I'm wondering if it's better to trade in my truck in the near future, while it has low mileage and is only 2 years old, vs waiting another 1.5 years and adding more mileage and wear and tear.

I'm not a fan of having to owe $10,000 instead of the $4,000 I currently owe... but I guess in the long run it may end up being cheaper to buy sooner rather than later, since I'd get more money for my truck now vs in 1.5 years.

I would buy now and buy used. Over the next few years, EPA standards are going to get tighter, which is going to translate to less horsepower to accommodate fuel standards.

Used can definitely be good. They always talk about how much vehicles depreciate the second you get them off of the dealership's lot. If you want one that's newer, get one that's only a year or two old -you'll still save a bundle.

Used can definitely be good. They always talk about how much vehicles depreciate the second you get them off of the dealership's lot. If you want one that's newer, get one that's only a year or two old -you'll still save a bundle.

Yeah I definitelly will not be able to afford a brand new 2013 or 2012 model. Mine current truck is a 2010 that I bought last March new from the dealer who was trying to clear them out for the newer models.

I have some thinking to do. I'll discuss it with my father... but obviously I'll get more trade in value for my truck now than later so it might make sense if I found the right truck for the right price.

While 4WD is nice and useful to have, I would pay off your dad before taking on more debt, especially since he was nice and paid off your current truck so you wouldn't owe a bank while in school.

I would buy a used 4x4 ATV, haul it in the back of your truck to the trailhead and off you go. You can haul 1 to 4 on a trailer too. If you keep them in good shape and find a good deal it really won't cost you much of anything. Buy for $2k sell later for $1,750. Very fun and will keep you in good shape. PM me if you have questions about an atv

Back