trouble introducing chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shopaholic0514

Hi, I got my first chin Nemo 4 years ago and last year I decided to get another one to company him, so then I got Omen and after quarantine and side by side for a week I tried freeplay in the bathroom, and Nemo chased Omen I freaked out then they were back to their cages, 2 days later which was the day before yesterday I tried car ride, at first they got along pretty well then I cleaned the big cage and put them together in the same cage, for 4 hours they were fine, grooming each other and share the same chew sticks and all, but then Omen tried to get on top of Nemo and that really pissed off Nemo so he chased Omen all over the cage but no biting or anything, Omen seemed to be really scared of Nemo so I seperated them and yesterday and today during the day time they were sleeping next to each other, in their own cage of course, so I figured i'd try again, so this evening I put them together in the bathroom with dust bath, trimmed Nemo's whiskers and Nemo was still chasing Omen, but still, no biting. I guess I just need to be patient and keep their cage side by side for a bit longer before I try again? I know some chins may never get along but I really hope its not the case, our apartment is really too small for two cages and I have a quality cage which is hard to split. Thank you any suggestions would help!

I havent I will try that, I figured I could try small cage in a big cage too later on. But now they really hate each other I'm worried.

I really don't think they 'hate' each other. Some chasing and humping is to be expected. I would leave them together longer next time. If they were sleeping together for a while probably things will work out. I definitely would try the exchange cage bit. If that doesn't work I find the cage within the cage almost always works

Intros can be rougher on our nerves than theirs I think, I always get worried that the fighting is too much and seperate. I have had a few that went really smooth though so it really depends on the chins.

Thanks guys, I just put them back n the same cage this morning since they are both tired, and its been an hour so far and things are going better, no more chasing, they are both trying to get on top of each other though, what does that mean? Also they try to groom each other I think because Nemo showed his "massage" face, were they grooming each other with their teeth? Is that good?

Their just trying to establish dominance.

Another thing to try is dabbing some vanilla on both noses and tails...

OMG!!! I am so excited!!!!!!!!!!I can't stop smiling!They are just so cute together!!!!!!!Thank you all for helping me! Hopefully they will stay this way!
They are sleeping together! I know I'm not supposed to but I can't help it I had to take a pic of them to memorize this precious moment! So, here it is!

IMAG0759.jpg

Last edited:
I really don't think they 'hate' each other. Some chasing and humping is to be expected. I would leave them together longer next time. If they were sleeping together for a while probably things will work out. I definitely would try the exchange cage bit. If that doesn't work I find the cage within the cage almost always works

Thanks Barb! I am so excited!!!!!!:tease:

awww, so cute!

I am going to try an introduction between my 3 yr old and a baby chin so this gives me hope! Thanks for posting!

Latest posts

Back