Triplets! :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elizabeth <3

My Standard grey violet carrier and my silver mosaic sapphire carrier had triplets yesterday and they are the most active kits I have seen yet. They are actually all over the place. Their weights when born were 51 grams, 55 grams, and 52 grams. They all have lost a couple of grams and they are now 28 hours old. They are just adorable! I think it is one female and two males.

Attachments

• 20140514_142504.jpg
    20140514_142504.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 20140514_142813.jpg
    20140514_142813.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 20140514_142915.jpg
    20140514_142915.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 50
Thank you :) They are all over the place all the time and their momma cant keep them together. Its like she is always trying to collect them lol I am kepping the little mosaic girl and her name is octavia

They are really starting to fight but they are all gaining weight. Should I start rotating them out so they stop fighting? One has a bite by its mouth and nose and the other boy has a small bite on the mouth. I dont want them to hurt each other more!
What should I do?

Yes! Start rotating them. Little stinkers can inflict some serious damage on each other. Just keep a daily weight chart. That should take care of the fighting. Just make sure you separate the most aggressive. In most cases, they fight over the same nipple. Doesn't matter to them there are others working. ( roll's eyes )

Offer soft hay by the end of the week. They will start to nibble. Supplement formula in a low dish will help them in about a week/week and a half.
The more they have in the belly besides milk, the better the attitudes.

This is the formula from the FAQ area in breeding. I would encourage you to read through the area as well.

1 part calf or goat milk replacer (a dry formula-purchased at a feed store or health food store)
1 part crushed pellets
1 part 50/50 mixture of dry rice and oatmeal baby cereal

(Tip - A coffee grinder makes quick work of the pellets.)

Their mom is in the early stages of mastitis. I had er at the vet today along with the kits. I have been hand feeding them because they were not gaining but now they are holding their weight with one gaining. I have to do hot compress for 24 hours and if there is no improvement then start her on TMS. She goes back on tuesday!

Thank you! they are eating about 1 ml each feeding. Is that enough? Also one doesnt want to eat. They are still in with mom because she hasnt started antibiotics so they may be getting the tinest bit of milk. Is tere a trick to get them to start eating from the syringe

If she has mastitis, she most likely needs to be on antibiotics now. Sulfa isn't going to hurt the kits. I use it on kits from birth on up.

Some kits think that formula is poison <rolls eyes> and it takes them a bit longer to get the hang of it. Some never get the hang of it and it is a fight every time. I've found that after a week or so of hand feeding, oftentimes the kits will just come up to the bars of the cage and I can syringe feed them through the wire. They don't have to fight being held and I can feed two at a time that way. Just keep trying. By now they should probably be going over that 1 mL per feeding mark, depending on how often are feeding. They are almost ten days old now so I would expect the amount to be going up a little at a time. By a couple weeks old I can usually get 3 mL into them feeding them every two hours. I let them eat until they stop. It's not always the same, mind you, that's just an average.

Thank you. She is on medication now and the kits are with her because she refused to do anything (eat, drink, stop crying in the corner) so i put the kits back in with her. I have been feeding every 2-3 hours and two are now take about 1.2 ml each feeding and the largest who is still gaining weight is taking about 0.6 ml per feeding. I am giving the mother critical care and lifeline and she drinks about 7ml twice a day and her medication orally twice daily. She also gets warm conpresses every couple hours with a massage but she doesnt like it at all. She stimulates them to go to the bathroom but i do it once a day to make sure they are going.
Is there anything else i should be doing?

Back