Triplets!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hsantos97

My female standard just gave birth to triplets this morning. All seem to be doing well so far. This is my first set of multiples, is it normal for the babies to fight a bit when nursing. They are fine for a while but all of a sudden one will start pushing and then they start the rolling around screaming for a few seconds and go back to nursing. I took the 2 larger ones out to let the smallest have some alone time to nurse without the others pushing it away. Will I need to keep doing this or will they start to nurse together soon. They were just born this morning around 7:30am
The weights are
A1 44.5g
A2 53.5g
A3 49g
Do these seem like good sizes for triplets?

Photos

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

A3.jpg

A3and A2.jpghere are the photos of the little ones. I need some input on colors, I am thinking pink white, beige and maybe med ebony? Does that look right?
mom's parents were extra drk ebony and white , dads were beige and standard.
I will try to get a better photo of the beige one.

It does take some time for mom's milk to come in - usually they settle down within the first 24 hours, however, you need to keep a very close eye on the fighting. They can do serious, serious damage to each other and they could bully one out who may not be able to nurse and then you would need to rotate/and or supplement. Keep an eye on their weights - this will help you know if that is happening. I have had poor luck with most triplet litters and usually end up having to rotate due to fighting. those are good weights - pretty significant difference in the smallest and biggest though so like i said watch for bullying.

First one looks tan to me (if the belly isn't white its a tan and not a beige), pink white and a medium ebony.

Congrats on the triplets! They are beautiful! I hope they continue to grow and thrive for you, but as stated, watch for bullying and make sure they continue to gain in weight.

I agree with volunteerchin. Keep a close eye on the weights and on the fighting. If someone is not gaining, that will be the kit that will need help. It isn't necessarily the littlest one that needs the help. As far as color goes, I think volunteer chin has hit it right on the nose, tan/beige, pink white, and medium ebony.

Well all three made it through the night. I have not seen any more fighting. Seems that the little tan one stays on one side and the other two are on the other side. All are running around and playing. So cute.
I will defanitely be still keeping an eye on them still and weighing every day to make sure they are all gaining weight.

So far so good. All three are getting along great. Very energetic and are back up to birth weight. They each lost about 3g the first day but gained almost all back the second day. Mom must be producing milk pretty well. I feel so bad for her all she does is nurse. Every time I go in the room she is sitting there with all 3 latched on. When I take them out to weigh she is like "Oh thank you for the break" and takes a few minutes to stretch and stand up on top of the food dish and relax. but goes right back to them when I put them back in. I am hopeing things stay this good.

Back