Tried tile and fleece, and both had flaws

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woolala

I first tiled the cage with towels underneath, but the tiles knocked on each other and made loud noise when my chin jumped down on them. I had a glass bowl serving as litter pan and it worked great, and it's super easy to clean.

Then I changed to fleece linen. Now it's quiet, but she dig her litter pan so hard and even roll in it that shavings are everywhere. The fleece is much harder to clean, esp. with shavings on it...

What would you guys recommend?

When I switched to fleece liners, I completely eliminated the use of bedding. Luckily, Rutherford differentiates between which fleece he can pee on, so he only pees on the fleece liners... not on his pillow or couch. Once a week, I change out the fleece liner and wash it in the washing machine. All the pee stains come out and the fleece liners look clean and new again!

Not sure if you're okay with your chinchilla peeing on the fleece liner, but it's definitely easier than sweeping up the bedding on the liner... it's quite the pain.

I use fleece liners with a towel between them, and no litter pan. It's easy to vacuum, unless they shred up wood or hay. If they shred things that makes it hard to vacuum, I just fold it up, and give it a good shake down outside.

As soon as it starts to smell, throw it in the wash. It's good to have a spare!

For me, Fleece is WAY less messier than bedding. I've never really thought a litter pan was necessary. Mine do normally pee in the same corners.

I use a litter pan but I shake off the fleece and most of the bedding comes off fairly easily. It's *hay* that clings to the fleece like no tomorrow. However, this really isn't a big deal... it all comes off in the washer and dryer. I clean the pieces out of the lint trap and it's not really difficult. I don't see that it risks damaging the washer and dryer any more than the dust bath residue or anything else that might be on your clothing. I thought about just going to fleece, but even if they pee in a few spots on the liner they usually pee a decent amount in the pan... which means all that pee isn't on the liner and the pans are easy to dump. I am hoping as my girls get older they will get more faithful in using just the pan or at least, mostly the pan. I think they were using it a lot more before I made new liners. Apparently they hate the new ones because I think they pee on them far more than the older ones.

My cage is tiled and I have litter pans with shavings for them to pee in. If your tiles were knocking around, they were too small. They should fit very snug so as not to move around or have gaps large enough for toes (or poop) to get in between.

I tried fleece but it was too stinky for me, and it was always their mission to rip it up and pee under it, no matter how I secured it. I gave up on fleece.

I vacuum the entire thing before throwing everything in the wash. Dump the bedding, vacuum the fleece. Saves a bit of mess.

I don't use a litter pan, just fleece. I don't find it the least bit stinky if I change it out a couple times a week. I had people in my house over the weekend and they said they were surprised they didn't smell anything coming from the cage, so I know it's not just because I'm "used to it" like pet owners usually are. My brother in law actually told me last night that my house smells good. I do vacuum out the hay and poops everyday to cut down on the mess and right before I throw them in the wash so nothing loose gets in my washer. I think if you can commit yourself to washing the fleece often enough, it's a good option.

I've been using only fleece for a few months now, no problems at all. I lay a towel down under the fleece so it stays very dry. I change take it out and shake it every day then wash it every 3 days. My girl is almost completely litter trained, which I'm so glad about because washing the fleece every 3 days is starting to be a pain in the bum.

I've found that they start stinking a day after I take them out and throw them into a hamper, so I'm forced to clean them right away. Anyone else have that problem? They don't smell while it's in her cage, maybe it's just me.. hmm..

I had people in my house over the weekend and they said they were surprised they didn't smell anything coming from the cage, so I know it's not just because I'm "used to it" like pet owners usually are. My brother in law actually told me last night that my house smells good.

I was surprised when I first got my girl and she didn't smell. Chins aren't as smelly as many people think ;)

I've found that they start stinking a day after I take them out and throw them into a hamper, so I'm forced to clean them right away. Anyone else have that problem? They don't smell while it's in her cage, maybe it's just me.. hmm..

I always toss mine right in the washer, so I can't say.

Problem solved!

I decided tile will be a better solution for me since my little girl is not potty trained at all (she is only 2.5 months) and... my husband has a very sensitive nose.
I observed the knocking-around problem of tiles and decided it's not because they are too small, in fact they fit tight and perfect, but because they lack support and thus tend to all fall towards the center part of the cage. So I put three layers of cardboard underneath the tiles to make sure the "floor" is flat, and since then the knocking noise is gone!

Latest posts

Back