Treats

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How often should my Chinny be getting rose hips or cheerios as a treat? Any other good treat ideas out there? I need to get my girl off of her raisins/chilla crack.

All seven of my boys get a tiny pinch of organic rolled oats every night and they love them. I know it's not necessary to give chins treats every day but my boys are accustomed to having their oat fix each night whether they are out for playtime or not. They just seem to settle down for the night when they get their oats and know that it's bedtime, I'm out of there and they're on their own. I also have nice music for them playing in the background and a nightlight, and they have a good sized window they can look out so they are in tune with the day/night schedule.

Maggie gets shredded wheat,she loves it. And occasionally rosehips. Her fav. Is of course raisins but she doesnt get those very often. Ive given her cheerios and rice krispies in the past too.

at first mine didnt like the rose hips but she likes them crushed :) and the shredded wheat a piece couple times a week.....

Maggie gets shredded wheat,she loves it. And occasionally rosehips. Her fav. Is of course raisins but she doesnt get those very often. Ive given her cheerios and rice krispies in the past too.

Raisins and Rice Krispies are not good for chins. The sugar content is too high for their little bodies to process.

I give them some dehydrated fruit pieces every now and then they tend to like papaya and mango the most.

A lot of people give their chins Shredded Wheat. Are you guys referring to the little squares they can hold in their front paws? If so, I bought some of those a while back to give the boys a change from rolled oats and three out of the seven boys had really mushy poo so that was it for the Shredded Wheat. I wonder if I bought the wrong kind?

Chins should have treats only once or twice a week. Good treats are 1/2 a plain shredded wheat, one plain Cherrio, rolled oats, and rose hips. Fruit and veggies of any kind (fresh or dried) are bad for them. This includes raisins and papaya. Fruits and veggies can upset their digestive systems and cause health problems like diarrhea and bloat.

I give them some dehydrated fruit pieces every now and then they tend to like papaya and mango the most.
How big are the pieces of mango and papaya and how often is "every now and then"? Just looking for some new treat ideas b/c they've been getting rolled oats for years now. Then again, I was under the impression that fruit, fresh or dried shouldn't be given?

How big are the pieces of mango and papaya and how often is "every now and then"? Just looking for some new treat ideas b/c they've been getting rolled oats for years now. Then again, I was under the impression that fruit, fresh or dried shouldn't be given?

No, they should not get fruit, whether fresh or dried. As preciously mentioned, the sugar content is too high.

No fruit or sugary items, this goes for fatty stuff like nuts also. The member who posted they feed mango and papaya is in the minority, most owners know better, especially if they have ever dealt with bloat.

I give rosehips the most as a treat. The cut and sifted ones. Most of the rescues come in getting all sorts of crazy food and treats but are fine with the healthier treats.

I do give a cheerio or shredded wheat to my own pet chins. Some only get half of a shredded wheat and they only get it twice a month.

Latest posts

Back