Treats

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
V

Vixey

I been getting treats in with the hay lately, samples I guess. I know treats are generally bad but these are hard and good for filing down teeth so I wonder if my chinchilla can have them(in small amounts of course)

They are made of; Wheat Flour, Shredded Soy, Oat Flour, Sugar Cane Molasses, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate...

I also have seen several members who feed dried pink rose buds, dandelions, hibiscus and other assorted herbs and things. I know rose hips are good (is there a "better" - crushed or whole?) I know raisins, fruits and such are a definite no-no, but what about these other plant-based treats?

The treats you mentioned are considered safe Melody but all things sparingly for treats as you know. As far as rosehips crushed or whole I think that is a chinchilla's preference as well as yours. A couple of mine like the whole ones and a couple do not so I give crushed to all because they all love it and I like that they don't have to deal with the hairs and the "stones" of the hips.

To the OP, I think all of those ingredients are safe. Personally I think less is more and now I make my own baked "cookies" with ground whole oats, ground rosehips, a bit of canned pumpkin, and a smidgen of blackstrap molasses and water and my girls love them and I know they are safe as a sparingly offered treat :)).

Healthy way to treat chinchillas is to offer nutritious herbal treats. They contain broad spectrum minerals, vitamins, essential amino and fatty acids, flavonoids, essential trace elements, enzymes in a bioavailable form. You can visit http://www.fuzzieskingdom.com/herbs/treats/natural-treats-rabbit-chinchilla.html to get some ideas. Herbal treats can actually be a part of a regular diet.

Baked treats are ok in moderation, please keep in mind that enzymes are destroyed during baking.

Some chins do not like whole rosehips, they contain hairs that irritate chin's mouth.

I saw someone selling dried apple for chins?! Was pretty sure its unsafe but loads seem to buy it?

Sorry for hijacking thread but seeing its a 'treat' i was wondering. What does apple do to chins cause bloat?

I saw someone selling dried apple for chins?! Was pretty sure its unsafe but loads seem to buy it?

Sorry for hijacking thread but seeing its a 'treat' i was wondering. What does apple do to chins cause bloat?

I think it's fruits & vegetables in general that can cause chinchillas to bloat.
Dried fruits (e.g. raisins) are ok in very very small amounts. The dried apples I've seen sold in petstores are huge slices.

Latest posts

Back