Traveling

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ripleyd

So this past weekend with the hurricane, I brought my chin Onyx over to my boyfriend's house, cage and all so that way if we lost power she'd be able to stay cool. She had a blast, running around, playing with the family and everything and they asked if I would be able to bring her over more often and if she had that much fun I'd love to bring her over. So I figured I'd buy a carrier to keep her in in the car, but what could I keep her in at the house? I was thinking just buying one of those wire pens that she could stay in when she's not running around but is there anything you all recommend? I was thinking even about a play pen and putting ramps and things for her to climb on in there but I'm still not sure.

I wouldn't put her in a play pen. I just bought my chin one of the superpet "my first home" (large) for $35 at Petsmart as a hurricane evacuation cage. She was only in it for two nights and didn't seem cramped or unhappy (I took her out to play every night)
The main thing to pay attention to is how they act in the car. We are driving back now and as we speak one of my chins is literally cowering in fear in her carrier. She absolutely hates car rides, so we avoid it unless absolutely necessary. Her sister on the other hand, just sleeps through the whole trip.

We bought a cage from Quality Cage to take our guy camping with us. It is a little bit shorter than a single level FN and has a metal tray that the cage attaches to. The cage itself collapses into the tray so it is compact for transporting/storage. Sebaschin is used to a two story FN so we was a little cramped, but he did ok with the smaller cage for 4 nights.

^^^ Those are the ones I use for hurricane evacuations. I also use them for quarantines and for when I want to drag the big cages outdoors for pressure washing, lol.

Since we'll be moving in October, I'd like to invest in a carrier, but I haven't found one at petsmart. All I found was a ferret carrier, would that size be okay or would she be panicky? She travels quite well but I want to make the transition as smooth as possible every time we're in the car. Recommendations?

by ferret carrier you mean the soft fabric ones? not good for a chin. they can chew their way out of a fabric carrier in no time.

a small cat carrier (hard sided plastic with the metal grid door) would work better, or best would be the Quality Cage carriers http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=2242 use the empty side to carry supplies!

Last edited:
you will need a cage with a top to it for keeping her in at your boyfriends place if she there for long. Most chins learn to jump out of the playpens :(

We just use a small collapsible cage when going somewhere for a short time and let them out to run around a lot. And in the car we use just car carriers and all of ours sleep the whole time

Make sure your carrier is small, if you are in a accident the chin can't get tossed around insideor if your car breaks down you can put it in your lap in the tow truck, or if your chin needs to be removed from the car and taken elsewhere its easy to move by someone else. Hard surface only, they can and will be out of a mesh carrier in a few minutes if the chin is determined.

Last edited:
Back