Traveling to the vet

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemma

So unfortunately my chosen emergency vet doesn't take exotic animals anymore.. and I need to travel 40 mins to the nearest exotic hospital!

Thank goodness I don't have an emergency right now, but I still need to take my chinchillas for an exam. Is 40 minutes too long of a car ride?

I have a fabric carrying case for emergencies, but for a long car ride I'm afraid they'll chew through it = any suggestions of a good travel case? And should both my chins travel together or should I seperate them?

And last, any other suggestions to keep my girls calm and cool for this experience?

I'm really worried about this ordeal to where if I have an emergency I feel like I can't help them. This is a horrible feeling.

The closest vet to me is over an hour away, so I feel your pain. :( I have a plastic cat carrier, but though my girls used to leave it alone, they have begun chewing it so I am probably due a new carrier. I am not sure where to find one, but I have heard of metal show carriers meant specifically for chinchillas. I'm sure one of the other members can provide a link. If you need one sooner, though, a cat carrier from Walmart is sufficient to keep your chin from escaping in your car.
I have only ever transported one chin at a time, so I don't know whether having both in the carrier at once is a good idea or not. It seems if they are well-bonded that they might keep one another calmer than a chin on its own.

I regularly take my chins on 3 hr car rides and they have gotten quite used to it and usually zonk out the whole way now. This is the carrier I got for them. It has 2 side by side compartments for 2 chins. They also make other sizes.
http://www.ryersonchinchilla.com/arc_010.htm

Its a great price, metal so they can't chew thru, easy to get them in and small enough so they don't go flying aound in it. I fold a fleece tube cover in thirds and lay it in the bottom so they have something soft to sit on. Give them a few sticks and a little hay and they are good to go.

We'll be driving 3 hours using a rabbit show carrier. You can buy them at any rabbit shows found on the arba.net site. We even had wolfe supply in Des Moines make us a custom carrier with a solid floor for guinea pigs but then sold all our guinea pigs. My husband just didn't like them and they produced flies easily. You can buy them from companies online sites like klubbertanz, bass equipment, and wolfe animal supply but the shipping is freight. Someone quoted it at $75. I'm sure chin carriers being about the same size as smaller rabbit carriers has the same charge unless they come in pieces.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the help,

I tried going on ryersonchinchilla to purchse that two-hole carrier which seems perfect, but having difficulty thinking they do not sell it anymore?

http://qualitycage.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=32_35

I got the single for my devious escape artist and she has yet to be able to get out of it, so kudos to them!

Great prices, great quality, and great customer service. Pam, the owner, will personally contact you if needed. And if there is any sort of mix up, she fixes it right away. She will literally send out the product that day if something went wrong. HIGHLY recommend her and their products. And that takes a lot for me! We even purchased a chin wheel from them, and my baby loves it more than any wheel she's had before it!

I'm new to this forum and I have a question. Would 2 chins fit in one side of the ryerson side by side? I have 2 pairs of bonded chins that I have to transport about 5-6 hours. I'm looking in to the ryerson carriers. I'm a little hesitant to put 2 in each section? Thoughts? Thanks :)

Latest posts

Back