Travel with chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nef

I have to travel to Hong Kong for a month early March. Deep down my heart I know I shouldn't bring my chin with me, but I also want to know everyone's opinion so as to "convince" myself more that I shouldn't bring her. It'll be a 15-hour flight to go there. Is it a big no-no? If I do bring her, I'll buy and bring a travel cage (perhaps the collapsible travel home from qualify cage?), maybe a playpen for playtime, and of course her food and dust. Weather in Hong Kong is humid. So I guess I'll have to give her dust bath more often and also turn on the air-con if it's too warm in March.

Ugh I really want to bring her with me! She's 4 months old now and I hate missing out and see how she grows for a month. What's everyone's thought on this?

Thanks!! ;)

the stress from such a long trip and the may want to quarenteen. Taking her out of the country and bringing her back into it...the whole thing is a bad idea

It seems like this might be an instance of you know the right answer but you dont like it so you want someone to point out the loophole where everything will work out peachy.

That's a long flight, most likely travelling down in cargo. Scary, noisy, cargo.
It will be a strange new environment and just when she adjusts, you will be coming back.
Humidity will be uncomfortable for her, even if you can keep the temp down. Yes, the extra baths may be fun, but she may also get itchy.

It's only a month! Granted, a fun month - but maybe you could find someone to take her in for that short time and send you pictures or even schedule webcam time so you can watch her play and hear your voice. It could end up being a really cool experience, and it's not that much time - she wont forget you!

I agree. A month is really not that long in the scheme of things. I bet there are people on here in your area who might be willing to foster her for that amount of time. You could always have them take pictures of her growth if they were so inclined. Just a thought.

Edit: beaten!

It's one thing if you're moving or driving an hour away for a weekend visit and want to bring your chin with you but as far as international traveling, it should probably be kept to the bare minimum.

Plus, think of it this way--if she's only 4 months you have potentially another two decades with her!! A month compared to that doesn't seem that long. Just leave her with someone you trust and have fun on your trip!!

I am going out of country for about 3 weeks, and I understand being worried about your departure. I keep buying extra supplies for the boys "just in case" for while I'm gone and have gone over the details with my wonderful husband who is taking care of them for me (all critters are my pets as he doesn't really understand pets) about a million zillion times. I actually feel kind of bad for him, because I'm certain that I'll call just to check on them all the time and he'll feel left out.
But it's only a few weeks...and even though we've only had them 2 months, I know they won't forget me- they're just too smart!- and so I try to ignore all the nightmares I've been having about while I'm gone. I know that if I DID take them with me, they'd have to ride in cargo, and it'd be loud, and in the airport (gee it makes me nervous it's so crowded), and all the new places, and trying to settle and what if customs keeps them or won't let them into the country or holds them for a few days at the transfer point and then I'm not there for them...it's just too much for me to even consider. I know here at home, without me, they will still have their own chews, and they feel so safe and happy in their home...I couldn't pry them from it for my own selfish need to see them regularly.
That's just me, but I'm sure you love her just as much and want what's best for her and to know she's safe at home at all times.
Where do you live? I'm sure someone on here would be happy to watch her.

You may not even be able to take her, some airlines don't allow pets to travel, some countries to not allow pets to come in or out without quarantine, etc.

I wouldn't stress her or you out by doing it.

I don't think that it would be fair to her to put her through all that stress. You'll miss her and she will miss you, but as everyone said, a month is not a long time in the big scheme of things. Do what is best for her!

Quarantine is at least 30 days, sometimes 90. You will need to check with the country and make arrangements for a facility a month in advance including the return to the U.S. Heath certs (each direction), and airfare. They fly cargo. Stateside chinchillas can not be shipped above 76, and they will not book it a ticket until the weather breaks for all layover airports.

Back