Travel cage recommendations?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunnyastounded

<---Apple Tree Enthusiast
What travel cages would you guys recommend that are suitable for transporting, isolating fighting chins, and housing separated kits?

By separated kits, do you mean for hand feeding and so on? If so, then Ryerson's carriers are what I use.

For travel I have several different types of cages, depending on where I'm going and how many I'm transporting.

As far as separating fighting chins - I don't use a carrier. They can't live in a carrier. If your chins are fighting, then you need completely separate cages.

Thanks for the Ryerson's recommendation. I went on their site (http://www.ryersonchinchilla.com/arc_008.htm) and was wondering which one in particular you would recommend? What cages do you use for transporting? Is there a good travel cage that suits transporting two adult chins (with option to separate or housing baby kits during feeding rotation? How does everyone feel about qualitycage.com carriers?

And as for the fighting chins, all I meant was that special scenario when the two are just having a bad day. I have yet to have Snickers and Vienna together, so I have no experience with it myself, but I hear people on this forum talk about it all the time.

I am possibly interested in your cage ChinnieShop, but its wire spacing isn't entirely suited for chinchilla kits, is it? The collapsible feature is a huge plus, but it seems a bit pricey. I will need two of them, so I would like to see other options of collapsible travel cages before spending the $100+

Im with peggy - with fighting chins there isn't a bad day scenario...they either get along or they don't most of the time.

And no the spacing on that cage is only baby safe for the first four inches. That doesn't work with chin babies that can climb all the way up to the ceiling of that cage. You need 1/2" x 1/2" or 1/2" x 1" everywhere including the ceiling.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reinforcement, VC22.

The travel cages will be mainly for transporting my two adult chins. I did include a bit about needing them to be suitable for baby chins, but I can't think of a scenario where I will leave the baby chins in the travel cage without having an eye on them. I would expect to put them in there while I rotate during nursing, but other than an emergency scenario, the travel cage being partially not baby proof isn't actually that scary to me.

Please pipe up with more scenarios to persuade me otherwise!

Latest posts

Back