Transitioning off of Critical Care

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nezhka

Is there anything I can do to help Buster start eating and drinking on his own again? I've started decreasing the amount of CC given at each feeding, but he's still not eating his pellets...(I've been watching his weight, and it's stable)

Thanks!

I had a very hard time getting one of my chins of the CC. I started grinding up pellets and mixing it with the CC. 1/2 and 1/2, then all pellets. Finally he did start eating the pellets. It was not easy! What flavor CC do you use? Some chins just love it- most hate it.

One thing that makes them like their water is mixing some apple juice or I think (please correct me if I am wrong someone) cranberry juice in with the water. LIke 50/50.

And also leave a container of regular water in their too. So you Will have two water bottles.

It could be he's not eating cuz you are still using CC, so that could be enough to fill him up, but I'm not sure on that one. I just know that when I took Noel off it, I just took her off CC and she started eating on her own again. You can also try, which i wouldn't give alot of cuz i hear it has too much calcium, but some alpha hay, they really like that. YOu can maybe sprinkle some on top of her timothy hay.

I haven't had chins as long as some people, but those are some ideas. Hope they help out, and I'm sure people will correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck,
Jean

If you have decreased the CC and his weight is stable, he must be eating some pellets. You should continue to decrease the CC and make sure he has pellets and hay. I sometimes give a chin some Alfalfa hay when trying to encourage them to eat. They will go for the sweeter hay first and it starts them eating pellets again. Timothy hay should always be available even if you offer a small amount of Alfalfa.

Of course, keeping track of his weight and poops will be your best gauge as to whether he is eating on his own.

Once he is eating again, stop the Alfalfa hay (only as a treat).

I'm using the apple banana flavored CC. He's still fighting the feedings, but I think that's because he doesn't like having food squirted in his mouth. :D Otherwise, he eats it.

I have been trying different types of hay to encourage him (timmy, Oxbows orchard grass, botanical hay and oat hay), and he's started throwing it all over, so hopefully some of it is getting inside...

The thing is, I've been weighing the pellets I give him, and their weight doesn't go down.. :/

I would really try the mixing crushed pellets with the CC. Use a coffee grinder, or a magic bullet type thing. That way he is getting the force feeding, but the taste of pellets. Our Meatball just loved the CC and we had the hardest time, like 4 months, of trying to get him off the CC. Using original flavor helps too I think. If he is not eating the pellets at all, you do need to feed him still.

Why was he on the CC to begin with?

My Zippy got GI Statis on September 2nd. It was pretty bad and he was very very sick. I fed him C.C. every 6 hours around the clock for a long time. He is doing really well now, but it was a long, hard road to recovery. He is now eating pellets, hay and drinking on his own, but I am still weaning him off the CC. He is not getting much, only 1/2 syringe a day. When I don't give him alittle CC, then he loses weight. He loves the apple banana flavor. He acts like it's a treat, and will sit on my lap and grab it from the syringe. It takes awhile to completely take them off CC altogether. As I decreased the CC, Zippy started eating more on his own. Just take your time and decease the CC gradually.

Back