transition dilemna

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn

ZooKeeper
When I got Tinkerbell last summer, the former owner gave me a big bag of pellets in a gallon size ziplock bag. When the food was nearing gone I realized I had no idea what brand the pellets were so I had bought Mazuri from the petstore and did the recommended transition and never had any issues. My bag of mazuri was about empty so I went to the store for another bag and couldn't find the mazuri brand, but they were now offering oxbow. I thought, great, this is a good brand, and brought it home. I didn't realize until later that I don't have enough of the mazuri left to transition properly. I have fed a few feedings of the mixture and now I'm about out of mazuri. What should I do? I have been giving her slightly higher proportions of the oxbow since I don't have much mazuri, and so far her poos look normal. I will run out in a couple of days...

Your chin won't die from a food switch. Breeders do cold turkey switches all the time...it is better to do it slowly, but if you have to just change you should be fine. If you see issues with the poop then I would get a small amont of mazuri and start the switch over. Otherwise, if this is all you have then just make sure you're not going to have to switch them back and forth anymore:thumbsup:

Make sure you offer lots of hay as well, and maybe get some acidophilus to sprinkle over her food, and she'll be fine. I've had to do cold switches on my three most recent chins due to crap food, and all transitioned without a hitch.

Back