training help

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, I have a question. I have a grown 2+ years chin. When we got her, she was like a wild animal. Seriously... (I do give my chinchillas rasins and nuts as treats. Acctually have been doing that for almost a year and tehy are doing good, never knew that i wasn't supposed to.) She would not even come to get the treat at the begining. Now she comes runing when I come to the cage or put my hand into it. Even though she come she still acts scared. The other two would run from me as well, but if I have a treat they would come to check it out (even when outside the cage). But she goes mile around you when she's loose. Was wondering if there is a way to gain her trust.

Do a quick search for "bonding" and you'll find loads of information on healthy treats and things people do for bonding. How long a day do you just spend beside the cage? Have you tried singing or reading to them? I left for a few weeks so had to go back to just putting my hand in their cage for them to hop around on. The boys didn't really forget me per se, but it was to remind them that I was safe, and they've been really good. Treats aren't the best decider on "bonding" because then you're really just a food machine to them. They can work, but don't you want your chin to like you because of mutual trust rather than just a snack? Think dogs: they bond to a person not because they feed them all the time but because they spend time together.
I'd still cut the nuts and raisins. Think of it this way, would you really feed a toddler only lollipops and ramen noodles because they seemed to be fine? You can only tell the exterior "good" not how well her liver and insulin levels are. There are so many treats out there (like rosehips) that are actually good for your baby because they're full of vitamin c and other good stuff. The better her body is equipped, the longer she'll be with you. There's a reason pet stores think chins only live to about 8yrs and breeders who only feed pellets/hay get to have them for 20.

Latest posts

Back