Towel in cage liners

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IceMaiden

Has anybody had any success with putting a towel loose in the cage tray with a liner over it? By that I mean you'd cut the towel to fit the base, then make the fleece liner so it slides over the tray like a pillowcase, effectively trapping the towel layer inside out of reach. Has anyone tried this? Or does the towel move about or not absorb the same?

My ferrets had towels for their bedding (they love to hide in them) and our rabbit had litter boxes made of towels, but towels do trap smell easily and need to be bleached in this case.
We always used folded towels, since this prevents the urine from soaking through all the way.

I hope this helps some. This is just our experience.

The only safe material for chins is fleece regarding they dont chew it i use towels sewed onto the fleece inside it and.i use the pillow case lining so he cant get at the towel and i find i like it better than just fleece as long as he cant get at the towel i dont see the problem and ive never been told there is a problem with it just have to be careful is all

What I like to do is sew some fleece around the towel like a normal cage liner that way in case a chin would get to the inside and then I do the pillowcase style with the liner inside for the platforms. I don't see why your idea wouldn't work as long as there is absolutely no way for a chin to get to the towel. I would still recommend surrounding the towel in fleece to be safe.

Oh the tower would defiantly be under the fleece out of reach. At the moment I make the liners by sewing two pieces of fleece together like a pillowcase and sew a piece of towel to the top fleece. What I want to do is instead of sewing the towel on, simply lay it in the tray instead then slide the fleece 'pillowcase' on as normal. I use buttons to hold the liners shut and stop my chin being able to climb inside, so she won't get to the towel. I'm just wondering if it will slide about or bunch up if it's loose.

If your looking for an absorbent fabric for your liners I suggest Zorb. It's kinda like uhaul but is not so thick.

Back