Tov to tov danger

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Encantadora

LvL Chinchillas
Can anyone explain this? I found the white to white discussion interesting.

I know a "breeder" who ended up with a black velvet kit that had neurological problems and daily seizures from a bv bv pairing.

What exactly goes wrong?

I am under the assumption that just 25% of the kits won't be viable...less production is all. Never heard anything about health/quality of the kits who are actually born...

The black velvet kit probably had neurological problems from complications at birth or nutrient deficiency during the pregnancy. Black to black does not cause neurological problems or health problems in the black kits.

I know many ranchers and breeders that will breed black to black and there aren't any problems. The only thing breeders care about is less production in the litters. It's the same as the Wilson white gene where it is thought that it cannot exist in the homozygous state. When the kit is homozygous for the lethality, it is reabsorbed by the mother. It is a 25% chance that a kit will be homozygous for the lethality which does not necessarily translate to 25% less kits.

I see.

Interesting phenomenon for lack of a better word.

I assumed the problem was from the genetics but I guess something else went wrong. If so, she didn't tell if she knew.

Can anyone explain this? I found the white to white discussion interesting.
I asked Bob Gunning about it and he said "You take a slow animal and make it even slower!". Basically it slowed production too much.

Seeing as it was an accumulative dominant I'm sure he did a lot of Tov x Tov pairings and linebreeding. They all came from one sooty faced female. I imagine at this point in the genetic history they are so outcrossed that you probably could breed Tov to Tov with no repercussions. They are not the animal he developed and he would say that at shows all the time. He named them velvet because the fur used to be short and have a texture like velvet. Now it is regular fur like the rest of the colors.

History for thought. :))

Back