TOV and ebony questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacd061506

Can the TOV gene be carried? Could a non-TOV kit who has a parent that is black velvet carry TOV and possibly have a kit that is TOV?

I am also wondering if ebony can can be a carrier? I know standards born to an ebony/ebony pair can be carriers but can other mutations be carriers of ebony without showing the ebony?

I'm asking these questions as I have a Dark ebony rescue I had given to me about 100days ago, I was told the male she was with was an extra dark ebony with a white belly (yes I know he is a black velvet). She just had a female kit who looks to be a black velvet but her belly is more grey then white, although she is extremely dark all the way down to her belly, which is then a greyish white shade. I know she is just a rescue, but I want to give her new owners as correct color description as I can. Plus I would love to understand ebony and TOV a little better!
I would like to know if this is an tov ebony, an ebony or just a tov and if she could be a possible carrier of anything.
Thanks

Tov is not a carried gene. Even if the animal has tov and isnt showing they have to have it to pass it on.

Ebony can be carried on without the animal being ebony .

It sounds like a light ebony, black but with grey belly. Here is a picture of one of our light ebony kits.

Attachments

• 011 (400x332).jpg
    011 (400x332).jpg
    97 KB · Views: 47
As mentioned, TOV cannot be carried but ebony can. BOTH can be masked by the white mutation.

You will get a more accurate answer if you post a picture ;)

Based on the assumed color genetics of the parents (ebony x black velvet) and the color description of the kit...it would be a TOV ebony of some varitey more than likely.

We definitely need pictures, mom AND baby! :D

Without pictures it could be a regular ebony or a Tov Ebony. Could also be a regular Black Velvet, some babies don't clear up for a bit.

Often Velvet babies are born with a dark nose and light back and veil in later, which is why I am suspicious it is a regular ebony. :))

If the ebony is dark enough, it can mask the TOV. This is not the same as being a carrier. The kits sounds like it is either a black velvet with a dirty belly, a light ebony or a TOV ebony.

Tov can be hidden in a dark or extra dark ebony, but is usually noticable enough inn med and light ebs to be sure. The ebony gene can be carried for generations without showing. Without pics its hard to tell if its a badly veiled bv or a tov eb.

As stated above, TOV is not carried. It is either expressed, or not present. It can, however, be masked or hidden by another mutation.

Depending on the strain, ebony can be carried. Other mutations do not make a difference - if a standard can carry it, any color can carry it. The common strains of ebony are dominant, so it does not matter if the black velvet parent carries ebony or not. Since the mother is an eb, she could pass that on to her kit.

That said, even with photos it may be hard to tell. There is a fine line between an ebony and a dirty bellied standard. Also, it is hard to judge a belly on a kit, especially very young ones. Since the fur is very short, they don't show much white until they get bigger and their coat comes in more.

I am attaching photos of a black velvet kit to show as an example. First is the day she was born, second is 5 weeks old, third is 3 months old. You can see how her belly gets whiter and her face/back get darker as her veiling comes in.

Attachments

• hope5.jpg
    hope5.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 45
  • hope9.jpg
    hope9.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 46
  • hope13.jpg
    hope13.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
Thank you all for your answers! Mishalaa that was very helpful. I will get some pictures for you. When I got mom she had triplets on her side. she all were ebony...the smallest was a medium tov ebony. He was really dark on his face and top of his back but faded down to grey on his sides and belly. the other two looked extra dark ebony (though mom is only dark and dad was black velvet) so I'm assuming they were dark tov ebony?

I'll post pictures of all that I can. I may have a pic of dad somewhere in an old email. I will post mom's picture and the triplets as well as try to get a good one of the breed back baby.

Black/Tov?

It sounds like a light ebony, black but with grey belly. Here is a picture of one of our light ebony kits.

Your light ebony looks so similar to the Black Velvets being so dark on top? Is he a light ebony because he's not as dark around the eyes??? Curious. Thanks!

Your light ebony looks so similar to the Black Velvets being so dark on top? Is he a light ebony because he's not as dark around the eyes??? Curious. Thanks!
He's a light ebony because his belly is not white.

He could also be a Velvet - Tov Ebony in this case - if that were in his genes, and yes the mask would eventually extend below his eyes. :))

Latest posts

Back