Tooth grinding.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna

I love my FurBlobs.
One of my chins is grinding his teeth tonight. I have never heard him do it before, I know this can be a sign of malo but he doesn't have any signs of malo other than that. Like no drooling, no watery eyes, no pawing at the mouth. His appetite was fine until he went on Baytril for a URI a couple of days ago, now he eats some hay and feeding him critical care is hard! much harder than with my other chin. I'll bring him into the vet when I can but i wanted to see what you guys thought. What else can be causing this grinding besides malo?

P.S. I just moved him into a new FN 142 and started him on PANR off of Mazuri. Can these new additions to his life cause stress, i.e. this teeth grinding?

Thank you!

It can be a sign of pain anywhere, it could also be nothing. Unless the grinding is in conjuction with other symptoms I usually don't pay much attention to it.

I agree that it could mean nothing. Just keep an eye out for anything else in conjunction with it, but my guess is it's nothing. I hear a couple of my girls do it occasionally. The one that actually has malo does not do it LOL.

if this is the same chin that was wheezing, than he may be in pain. i really think a vet visit is necessary.
but i am with Jean Marie, it could mean nothing. my one chin only does it at night before i give him his "treat bowl". its as if he is licking his chops waiting for his goodies.
and my chin with malo also no longer grinds his teeth. if he starts to that means he is in pain.

Yeah, I will be watching him like a hawk and will take him in if anything seems off, including more grinding. So far he hasn't done any of that tonight.

One of my chins grinds her teeth when she is upset - usually because one of the other chins is getting something that she wants (treat, playtime, etc.) As soon as she gets whatever it was that she wanted, she stops. Go figure.

I have a female that does this alot whenever she doesn't get her way. (If I don't open the cage of give her a treat when she wants me to.) But obviously if this is out of the norm for your chin be on the lookout if this could be a bigger problem like malo.

my chins do it in their sleep all the time! for no reason except that maybe they are dreaming

He's only done it once, and hasn't done it since, I don't know what caused it but I'm keeping an eye on him to see if he starts it up again and if so I will bring him in. He seems to be back to normal, his URI is gone and he's eating happily :). Weird little creatures haha

I have a girlie, Bonnie, who grinds her teeth when she doesn't get her way. It's hilarious; you can see the frustration. Like, if you're doing something in her cage and she wants to escape. She can see FREEDOM....:D And if you keep pushing her away from the door, she will grind her teeth at us. She's even raised up on her hind legs, threatening to spray.

My concern would be pain from the URI, since you have a known illness. If it continues, then I'd get it checked.

Is it a new chin? Mine did it for a little while when I first got her and I haven't heard it since. I ended up taking her to the vet for it and she was fine, now she just clicks her teeth at you when she wants things.

One of my girls just recently did it after I gave her a shredded wheat treat. Thats the first time I've ever given them a shredded wheat (I usually give oats and rosehips). So the other night I gave them another one and she started grinding her teeth again....I guess she doesn't like them. I gave her some oats instead and she was fine.

My oldest chin (he's turning 6 Yrs.) and he always does the teeth grinding when he
is feelin' happy (treat etc.). He doesn't have any teeth probs., eats fine, weight
is great. He also is my Barker!hehe

Back