Tooth extraction

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedgie Girls

I am looking for some help on getting our little Daisy Mae eating again after having a tooth extracted. She is one year old.

Background: On Monday August 23rd we noticed decreased activity and decreased eating and drinking with Daisy Mae. Then August 24th she ate nothing so the morning of August 25th I called and made the first available vet appointment which was 8:20 am August 26th.

The vets checked her out and did a CBC (which came back everything within normal range) Then they checked her mouth they found a premolar on her lower left jaw that was loose and had gum recession. That tooth was extracted and the rest of teeth look good.

She was given an injection of Buprenorphine before leaving the clinic. She is on Enrofloxacin twice a day for 7 days and Metacam once a day for 5 days. She takes the antibiotic pretty good, but does not really care for the pain medication.

She is still not eating on her own, but she will drink water. We have left her dry kibble in her condo and added canned food and a crock of kibble with water added to soften it up. She ate nothing so I attempted the A/D she would not take that either. Then I mixed up Critical Care of Carnivores she loves that and ate it off a plastic spoon.

This morning I mixed some of the canned A/D with water and Critical Care and she ate about 7 ml of the mix.

My question is how long does it take a hedgie to start eating on her own after a tooth extraction? We had 2 other hedgies have teeth removed and they ate on their own that night, but the roots of their teeth were not even close to how long Daisy's root. Does anyone have suggestions to help getting her eating on her own? Thankfully this is my weekend off so I can monitor her closely.

Cyndy

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    27.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 5
Back