too young?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axeharrison

Ok, so when i first bought my new chinchillas the person said they were mom and daughter-both female... Well today when i went to clean their cage i let them out to have their play time, when i looked down they were *getting it on* and so i checked shimmer (now sham) and turned out it was a boy even though before it looked like a girl. So also the person that i bought the chinchies from said the mom was 2 and the daughter was 1 i figured that it wasnt possible because they were so young. So is it ok to let them breed or are they too young?

It's not a good idea to let them breed now or ever. Chins with unknown backgrounds shouldn't be bred because of all the potential health problems they could pass on. As a side note, even pedigreed chins should not be bred unless they are properly matched with a mate that will compliment their strengths and weaknesses.

You'll need to get another cage and separate your chins. Make sure the female's cage is baby safe (bar's 1/2" x 1/2") because there's a good chance that she may be pregnant.

The mom that was two years old could definetely be the mother of the one year old male. If he was one when you got him and mom was two then she would have been around eight months when she conceived him, which is very possible. So definietely separate them, you don't want inbreeding. And they both are not too young to breed.

It appears this person has had these two chinchillas in excess of 2mos at this point. They were told here: http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27818 by other members of the forum to check sexes...

And yeah, chinchillas do not up and die out of the blue. "Too late" indicates that perhaps there was a fight considering the conversation. If the chinchilla did not die from fighting then you should have it necropsied as chinchilla ailments can spread when they're caged together. You wouldn't want the other chin dying.

well i was "chatting in chat" yesterday and they couldnt figure out waht it was tat killed the chin, it wad the female, and i dont have enough money to get her necropsied i buried her today and me and my family think that the person we bought them from knew there was something wrong so they sold them they and the cage were only 200 dollars. any suggetsions? the other chin is acting just fine but a little bit antsy. Also the last 4 hours before the death of pebbles she was laying on her side panting for air so when we called the emergenecy vet we were driving and she passed.

Generally it doesn't cost that much to get a necropsy done - I think I have paid $25 for one at a state lab. It's too late now for that but I would take the other chin into the vet. If it was a URI your vet could tell if there are lung sounds.

Generally it doesn't cost that much to get a necropsy done - I think I have paid $25 for one at a state lab. It's too late now for that but I would take the other chin into the vet. If it was a URI your vet could tell if there are lung sounds.

Wow! That is the least expensive necropsy I've heard of! I am not that lucky, as the 2 necropsies I've had done in the past were $100 each and inconclusive...that served to heighten my frustration. However, that won't stop me from having another done if it's ever needed in the future (which I hope it is NOT).

Any progress on getting the other chin to the vet to be checked out thoroughly?

I had a necropsy done for free, but my vet felt responsible since he was being treated and didn't make it.

The state diagnostics lab here in PA does them for $75.

Latest posts

Back