too many kinds of oxbow hay, confused!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
timothy is often the main hay given, but you can mix it up to keep things interesting for your chin.

meadow hay, brome, orchard grass, botanical (specific oxbow variety)..... all good. there may be other types that are safe for chins as well, but others will have to chime in.

as for alfalfa hay, only feed a little of this if your pellet is alfalfa based, since alfalfa contains more calcium than other hays and if too much is fed your chin can have issues with kidney/bladder stones.

My girl had the same problem as Mr.P, I bought Orchard Grass today and she loves it! Has anyone tries Oat Hey? I was thinking of buying it but was a little reluctant because my chin loves the soft stuff.

I have Standlee hay (though mine is in cubes, but they sell loose as well I believe), and my chins seem to like it. I believe there is a thread specifically about Standlee's hay....got a lot of good reviews.

Oat hay is very course and good for teeth.

Thanks for your reply, would it be okay to feed a chin as much oat hay as they wanted just like the traditional timothy hay? I think I'll buy some this weekend to see if my girl likes it, hoping so since she seems to LOVE the soft stuff but I really want her to eat something a little more coarse.

All four of mine LOVE Oat Hay and Orchard Grass. They hate the Botanical though... ends up everywhere! I've been doing Timothy as a base and topping off with one of the other two for about a month now. It definitely keeps them interested.

Latest posts

Back