Together then not..

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blarklark

I have a question.

I have two chinchillas. Povel and Gavin. Povel is 3 years.. Gavin is 2. They have been getting along just fine. Recently, they fight.. chancing after each other. Standing up on their hind legs and kaking.. They also corner each other in the houses and the one in the house will kak at the one outside of the house. To me it looks like they are still figuring out who is boss.

I have never seen either of them chew. well Povel chewed his fur when I first got him due to being separated from his sister. Which is why I got Gavin my male. But like I said.. years later and now they chance each other and Povel has hair slip at the base of his tail.. and Gavin as it on his under thigh. As if they are chewing their hair off..

Now mind you I wake up and they are both sharing the same house sleeping on top of each other.

Do you think its the fighting that is getting them stressed? Should I put the divider in the cage so they have separate rooms in their ferret nation cage?

Because chinchilla fighting can become very serious VERY quickly I would personally give them their own space. Chinchillas have very unique personalities and regardless of how long they've been together can decide they no longer want to share their space up and out of the blue. The behavior and physical signs you're describing is often a precursor to much more serious fighting. Unless you can supervise them 100% of the time I would personally separate them. Doesn't have to be permanent but you'll need to "re-introduce" them in the normal fashion once things settle and you feel comfortable with that. The saying is, always have the same number of cages as you have chins...for just this reason. Good job on being responsible and questioning it at the FIRST sign of an issue.

You could try getting another house - they could be fighting over the house. Still watch for trouble. I would separate until you get another house then try again but watch for more signs of trouble. If it persist separate and as Vyxxin says try to re-introduce. It may not work and they may have to be separated for good.

I did make another house long ago so they have two. And yeah Im going to put the divider back in the cage and let them through the hole when I'm home but close it up when I'm not. I'll also rotate where they sleep so their smells don't separate.

Back