To those who have 2 chins... How much do you buy?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bailey45121

To those who have only 2 chinchillas... How many lbs of loose hay and alfalfa cubes do you buy at a time? How how many lbs of pellets do you buy? I want enough to last at least 3-4 months at a time.

Well I don't have 2 but I have 4....I buy a bale of hay and 50 lbs of food every 4-5 months. If you have a farm or feed store nearby it's a lot cheaper to buy bulk quantities of what you need, and some places sell hay in a half bale even. They definitely sell 25lb bags of most feeds. Then if you have extra you can donate it to a nearby animal shelter or rescue.

I have four boys and I go through about 20lbs of pellets every 3 months or so and as for hay I buy small bags my boys don't seem to eat much and I'm allergic so I don't want to keep large amounts sitting around.

I buy 25 pounds of pellets at a time, I get it from the breeder I got them from and that's the best deal. As for hay I don't buy too much at a time, no more than 5 lbs, they won't eat it once it sits around for so long. They only like fresh hay! I have cubes, but they only get a small piece of one as a treat every now and then.

Hi I an new here, too. I bought a 50 pound bag for $20 bucks at the local feed store. That should last 5-6 months (will donate the rest). As for hay, so far I bought the small Oxbow bags at the pet stores. Once I determine how long the last, I will go from there. Money wise, maybe order online or find another feed store in town, that as better suited hay for small pets other than hay they sell for horses.*

I plan to purchase Shoots Pellets from a breeder. That is what is being fed to my chins currently. How much does 25 lbs of pellets last you Woodrow?

Back