To poop? or not to poop? That is the question.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llittlebllonde

I am so confused at this point. I don't think this is an emergency, but it has the potential. Sorry it's so long. I have had my 4 yr old chin for just more than a month or so. I have been diligigently reading to learn about my chin.

A few weeks ago I realized my chins poop was small, skinny hard and dark. Not quite normal, but very regular. Constant. I called her Sprocket the Poop Rocket. So I changed up her diet and the poops got a little fatter.

Then one night she chewed up a piece on her wheel. A rubber piece. (The wheel is a whole other issue and she is getting a new one.) and when I took her out to play that night there was no poopin. I gave her tummy rubs and she pooped a little. Not much the next day gave some gas drops and tummy rubs got some nice big fat poops. Yay!

Then no poops the next day. Then more gas drops and tummy rubs and got the poop you see on the left in the photo. Odd size, pointy, irregular, rough poop. Classic constipation right?? More gas drops and tummy rubs and very few poops all night and this morning. Came home from work, no poop
http://imgur.com/UeHmpgR
http://imgur.com/tRTrXdW

I am really worried at this point. I had called vets today but had not found one closer than two hours away. Resigned to the fact that I would have to take her to my regular vet early tomorrow she starts pooping up a storm! She is pooping like a rocket. She sits on her wheel and I can hear them and see them.

I have never been happier to some poop. It is the poop on the right in the photo. And the closest thing I have seen to normal poop. What the heck is going on???

Throughout this time she has been eating, drinking, and active. Somewhat more quiet in her cage but full of herself and out of control during playa time. Though I think her tummy feels a bit bloated. She is learning to like tummy rubs and almost willingly stood still for them tonight. I have to force the gas drops.

So any ideas what is going on? Thanks in advance for your help.

It could be another issue causing bloat, one that comes and goes? Or she's eating more of the wheel? Take out all plastic/not safe items now, whether they'll be replaced or not. Id rather my chin couldn't run on a wheel than die from the plastic. Double check the food is one people on here recommend and stop ALL treats until she's healthy, and then only give chin-safe ones. Maybe just start with one kind and slowly build up to a variety- it could be one type of treat she has a bad reaction to (like people allergies/glucose issues?) and adding them back all at once wouldn't weed out the one that causes issues.Id take the chin to an exotic vet that knows chins, but definitely take her to some vet. Chins hide symptoms very well, so the fact her poop is off and she is liking the belly rubs a lot means there something wrong. In my opinion, the self treating may not be doing enough if it's going back and forth.

Thanks Shenanigans.

She is not eating the wheel. I have done the food research and have determined she is being fed something comparable to Oxbow. We have been off treats for 2 weeks. Only hay, apple wood, pellets, and and chin safe dried alfalfa and chamomile flowers.

Closest exotics vet is 2 hours away. My vet will provide what is needed when I have determined what is going on. Will x ray without an appointment.

Looking for advice from those who have delt with constipation and bloat extensively.

Update- last night after playtime, tummy rubs, and gas drops a noxious smell filled my living room. I accused my perfectly well behaved cat of pooping in said living room. No poop was ever found and the smell eventually dissipated. Plenty of poops in the am and when I came home from work. Yay! Scooped my chin up during playa time to find her belly not at all bloated as it was for the past week or more.

Could that noxious smell have been chin gas? o_O

Tonight during playa time she was her active self but particularly determined and naughty. I think we have turned the corner. Cross your fingers for us.

Still interested to hear from others who have personal expierience with constipation and bloat.

THANKS!

I remember you created a thread about food that had tons of treats in it that you had to pick out. If you're still feeding that, sorry, but it's not comparable to Oxbow. Crappy low quality food can definitely lead to digestive problems.

As I said in your other thread, it sounds like she needs to see a vet. Especially if she is not back to normal. She could have a partial impaction from eating the piece from the wheel. No way to really tell until she is seen. Pushing Critical Care can give her a boost in hydration and fiber, but I would want to see a vet who can give her motility drugs to get the gut moving properly again.

Chin poop should not smell as you described. The only time I have seen poop with a smell is in a chin who had giardia.

Look up the thread "Sparky's stasis saga", it goes through a lot of the treatment for bloat, constipation, etc.

I had a chin who ate plastic. He got a partial impaction and exhibited many of the same symptoms your chin is. He could still poop, but the poops were small and hard and very much constipated looking. A lot of sub-q fluids, motility drugs, and hand feeding finally solved the impaction but he lived with chronic constipation due to scar tissue in his intestines.

Thanks for getting back to me Stackie. I get the whole take her to the vet thing. Therein lies the problem, whenever I think it is that time she starts pooping better than ever before.

I did not discribe smelly poop. I discribed strong gas oder and relief from bloat.

I have thourghly read Sparky's saga, and others.

I feel as though she is eating fine and not in need of CC yet.

Wondering about others expieriences with mild bloat and consipation

Even if she is eating fine CC will not hurt. Give it to supplement her diet. As I said it will increase her fiber and hydration which will help her gut continue moving.

Chins should not release "smelly gas" to the point you have described and I have never noticed such a thing and never heard of it.

I'm not sure what else you want people to tell you. Several people have given you advice here and your other thread and told you she needs a vet yet you retort with something back and don't seem to want to take the advice. As I said she could have a partial impaction contributing to the fluctuations but you can't know ergot a vet visit and at this point in certainly will not hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for answering my question about gas Stackie. That is what I want, people to answer the specific questions I ask as well as give advice. I also questioned if I was seeing classic constipation. Nobody answered, just gave the obligatory take her to the vet line. Is that in fact what I am seeing?

I have managed to solve the bloating issue with tummy rubs and gas drops, so I am doing something right. I will not keep her from the vet when it is clearly necessary but I will not be running off to put my chin through 4 hours of car travel time to see an exotics vet until I am sure the situation merits that kind of stress.

I appreciate everyone's concern. And have my local vet on board. I am confidant in my ability to handle the situation but would love to continue to learn all I can. I haven't found any info on just constipation or partial blockage. That is the info I am still seeking.

Current status- pooping regularly and slightly larger with rounded ends than when she arrived in my care. Continuing to monitor for bloat and poop changes. Eating and exercising normally.

Thanks again for all your help!

If you look in one of my previous posts I shared my experience with partial blockage. Radiographs +/- ultrasound to confirm blockage and identify where it is located to determine if it may be able to pass on it's own or if it needs surgery. It was determined my chin's would be able to pass on it's own most likely so we opted for less invasive treatment first before resorting to surgery. The treatment was sub-q fluids to hydrate the blockage, pushing critical care to continue to get a large amount of fiber and hydration to help the blockage pass, and motility drugs to get the gut moving to move the mass along. All of which obviously would need to be obtained from a vet. Scar tissue in the intestines from the blockage caused chronic constipation in his case.

Tx for acute constipation- sub-q fluids, Critical Care +high fiber (pumpkin added), possible motility drugs. Same thing. Long term, daily critical care.

I get the whole take her to the vet thing. Therein lies the problem, whenever I think it is that time she starts pooping better than ever before.

I think most of us are just concerned that stuff is still going on. I personally would take my chin at this point even if things look better, as it seems like you are describing a cycle of bad then almost better and bad again. I personally would not want to take the chance I was just in a good point in the cycle. Even if your chin seems to be getting over it-whatever it is- the vet may be able to help. Also, some possibilities of what may be wrong actually require vet care to recover. I thinks that's why you keep getting the vet line reiterated to you.

Back