To hump or not to hump?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

mjh

We've been introducing our two male chins with increasing success over the past three weeks. They've showed much gain in terms of no more chattering teeth, fur throwing, or crazy whiskers and moved to mutual grooming during playtime. I do believe we've reached this success by immediately removing whichever one shows any sign of aggression. It seems now that they've gotten really into humping each other. It goes back and forth, but will usually turn into one getting a little pushy. Now, I know humping is a sign of showing dominance, but neither one is showing any other outward signs of aggression, and, like I said, the humping goes bothways.

My questions: at what point does too much humping become enough? Being relativly new chin owners, what do chins do to play with each other? Do they chase each other and then disregard each other (that's what ours seem to do)? Thank you

Actually it sounds as though things are going pretty well if you've got them to the point of grooming each other. The humping should subside in time but even after I successfully introduced my boys and have been together for quite some time they occasionally still hump each other when they get overly excited or if they're squabbling over something or other. As far as I know there will always be a dominant one in the pair and they will hump the other one to show who's boss. I'm sure others will have some input as well.

I agree with it happening with them getting excited.

Even though both Mr. Whiskers and The Snuggler are neutered, if they get too excited about a new toy, a stick or the dustbath, there is a small flurry of humping, usually by Mr. Whiskers. Nothing ever comes of it; I guess old habits die hard!!!

Being relativly new chin owners, what do chins do to play with each other? Do they chase each other and then disregard each other (that's what ours seem to do)? Thank you

Two of my boys are paired.. Playtime usually involves running around the room and exploring and generally getting into trouble with mom :laughitup: Sometimes they explore together, most of the time they are hanging out on different sides of the room. They get tons of toys to chew on during playtime, but usually run around instead. They still dominance hump on a regular basis tho.

Didn't want to start a new thread on the same subject, but I am a newer chin owner (for a month now). I just started noticing that one of my chins (bubba) always seems to be displaying "dominacy" to his brother and it happens both at play time and in the cage. It always seems to happen out of the blue too. Should I be worried that he is getting to ruff and need to sperate them?

Didn't want to start a new thread on the same subject, but I am a newer chin owner (for a month now). I just started noticing that one of my chins (bubba) always seems to be displaying "dominacy" to his brother and it happens both at play time and in the cage. It always seems to happen out of the blue too. Should I be worried that he is getting to ruff and need to sperate them?

As long as you're not seeing constant chasing, biting or excessive fur slip (all are considered "fighting" as opposed to "playing") the dominance humping should eventually subside once they decide who's "on top" :pillowfight:

Unless, like two of mine, they decided they hate each other and would like to take out the competition for attention and treats. LOL But seriously, they can have issues like mine who we think has been going through puberty for a few months now and had to seperate them. As you get used to their funny quirks you will get a feel for their moods when they play.:thumbsup:

A little bit of humping is to be expected and as long as it doesnt start a fight between the 2 chinchillas then you wont have to worry about it. Just always make sure you are aware of their moods and how they interact with each other.

Just dont leave them unattended... They can go from playful, to fight, just like that.
And the real pain is not catching them after they start fighting, it's feeling guilty that you did not do something in time. You will always tell yourself "If I had just separated them that night, they would still be friends".

its usually pretty easy to tell between chins playing and chins fighting. if you hear any "unhappy" noises or see fur flying, then you should be worried. if there is any blood, seperate IMMEDIATELY. otherwise, you'll mostly notice that when they have free play they will play on their own and once in a while try to snag a treat or stick from one another. like everyone said, this can lead to a little bit of humping. my boys have been together for a year now and my older boy is clearly the dominant one but once in a while the younger one will feel a litle fiesty and try out his humping :dance3: If you're worried about whether they're getting along or not, look for it more in the cage, if they are caged together. the cage is both of their territories so if one does not like the other he will sometimes almost force the other one into only a certain spot of the cage or basically "boss" him around. this is when you should be worried. if they ignore each other in the cage or you see them sleeping next to each other, then you have two bonded little boys :clap1:

Latest posts

Back