To get two...or not to...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IvoryBolt

I have my deposit on my sweet little pink white male...and I found a female in town, who's a precious mosaic. They wouldn't be housed together or allowed to breed..but I'm wondering how hard this is to deal with as far as splitting time? Is it worth it in the end, or am I better off with just one Chin as opposed to 2?

Have you had chins before? I would say just stick with the one, if you end up still feeling like you want to have two you can get another. But if you get two and find you only want one its not so fair to the chinchilla.

Always remember it only takes a couple of seconds for Chinchillas to breed, they could never be near each other without risking pregnancy.

I did, thought it was only for a couple months (he was a rescue, and passed away unexpectedly a couple weeks ago)...I know they couldn't be near each other, that's totally fine with me...I think I may just stick to the male for now...I've heard/seen horror stories of females spraying xD

I did, thought it was only for a couple months (he was a rescue, and passed away unexpectedly a couple weeks ago)...I know they couldn't be near each other, that's totally fine with me...I think I may just stick to the male for now...I've heard/seen horror stories of females spraying xD

The spraying thing is what made me deicde to go with two male chins.

I have had a female before and she never sprayed me and was very friendly, but I couldn't have her for very long as my doctor insisted I get rid of all pets because I was allergic and I was living with my mother so she listened to the doctor and had me get rid of my chinchilla.

But anyway, I would much rather deal with the occasional hair ring then the chins spraying me, or worse yet my friends/family when I am trying to explain to them that chins are not just a stupid rodent that doesn't do anything and that they can be friendly.. Lol. Don't think my point would come across if they got sprayed!

I don't really think that there is much more effort between one vs two chins, especially if they are kept separate. It's just whether or not a chinchilla is what you expect it to be after the research I'm sure you have done.

For me, there's not that big of a difference. I'm one of those people who when they start cleaning, they won't stop... So that makes cage cleaning less trouble Lol. Though I would rather clean two CN's out than one CN and a starter cage... I hate cleaning those XD.

I have my chins on MannaPro Sho, and I could only get that in 50lbs... So food wise, we're set. I won't get through all the food before it goes bad, so it's not like I'm spending extra on it really.

They go through a lot more hay though... But that's really the only extra expense, aside from bedding until I get another cage.

Time wise, it's no issue for me. :)

If you want two I'd get two of the same sex. Chins are tricky and I wouldn't want to risk an unwanted pregnancy which seems to happen more often than you'd think.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up a bonded sister pair, full sisters, 6 months apart. Baby Fae was just weaned 2 weeks ago. Glad I went with the sisters, they are very good together and support each other. integrating well with my other animals. On day 3 of week two at Cats B Chillas. lol. Sam's all tuckered out and it's only 2 am.

Back