To get or not?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessprincess

I have been contemplating another chinchilla. i have had Theo for 8 months and he is not a baby. I really would prefer no babies, and I was wondering, is a baby better, or another adult? I have read that you should get a baby, but was wondering what you think.:hmm:

We have had the best luck intro-ing young chins, especially babies, to older chins. That said, we have intro'd plenty of older chins to older chins and have had successful pairs. However, the easiest intro's we've had have been intro-ing a baby to an older chin. Those seem to typically go off without any problems.

If you don't want to get a baby, then maybe try a chin that's a bit older, but not yet an adult. In our experience, the older they get without having a cagemate, the less thrilled they are to have one later in life. So, if you don't want a baby, maybe get one that's several months old, but still younger than a year, so it's not quite an adult yet.

Best of luck!

I too had the best luck with babies. Mitzie was a baby when I paired her with Maddie and it went like a breeze. But when I tried to intro Lizzie (she wasn't a baby) with Mitzie (she was an adult at this point) and Maddie it didn't go well. So I got two more babies and paired with Lizzie, which again was a breeze.

Its like anything, it may or may not work. It depends on your specific chins. We have a 7-8 year old pet female who loves being paired with female rescues regardless of their age, yet we have a 1yr old male who doesnt want a buddy, again, regardless of their age. They're just different chins.

The same is true of pairs -- yours may or may not take to a baby well, it just depends on them. The one possible worry with a pair, though, is that by trying to intro a 3rd, you could potentially break up the pair.

My 3 month old Tibbit (male) became the boss right away to a pair of 6 y/o males. Just a reminder...nothing may work out and you will have a room full of cages.

That reminds me, I've had that happen too. I had a male born here that I was going to keep...but I wanted to pair him up with one of my adult males until he was old enough to be shown. That little stinker had all my adult males running for cover and hiding. So even getting a baby won't always guarantee success. And he was a sweetie to people, but had to be the boss and tried to beat up and boss around my adults. He found a nice pet home where he was the 'only chin.'

I think, now, that either a baby or adult would be good! I would love to raise it!!!!!!

Babies are a pain because they are usually incredibly jumpy and hard to handle, not to mention they go through the "teen phase." I prefer adults because they are usually set in their personality, so for the most part, you know what you're getting. I bought a pair of twin girls when they were kits, then a few months later I bought a tiny violet wrap kit...they adored her from the moment they were introduced. I am not sure it would have worked with an older chin, but as many others have said, lots of adults chins have been intro'd successfully. Good luck!

You might as well get another pair. They can be cage buddies and and you would not have to worry if they don't bond with the cuurent two.

Vickie :)

I've ended up with two male pairs because I first wanted Ari and then I didn't want Ari to be alone so I got him a friend, Sobek. They got along perfectly but Sobek was still fairly young (7-8 months, I think?) and Ari was maybe three months old. They had been together for 5-6 months when I decided that I wanted three chins and had a big enough cage so I got Talyn. After two attempts Ari and Sobek wouldn't tolerate Talyn for any length of time before one of them would start picking on him. So then Talyn was alone and I got Kallel to keep him company. I was lucky enough to be able take Sobek and Kallel both on a "trial" basis to begin with though from my friends who are breeders. Kallel was actually one I never would have picked out on my own but him and Talyn are doing great.

Latest posts

Back