To buy or not to buy?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schweppes

So now I found a standard female chinchilla a year old on craigslist going for $50 with a cage. The cage is 3ft long, 2 ft wide and 20 inches high. They're eating guinea pig food. She was for the guy's daughter and she lost interest.

I don't want the chinchilla going to a bad owner. I currnetly don't have a job, but can get $50 for the girl.

I really don't know if I should get her or not. What would you do?

That's how we got all of our chins, off of CL. Just be careful being a "CL rescuer", a lot of the time they have behavioral problems. You also want to make sure that you aren't buying out of pity. If I had the room, I probably would get her, but we already have 3 and four wouldn't be much different expense-wise. Ultimately it's your decision: can you give her the best life possible for her? If you don't have a job, how can you afford to keep her? Do you have room for another chinnie, and do you have room for another cage if she doesn't get along with your other two? Think very carefully!!

I want to slap each and every person on CL who bought a chin for a kid and then the kid "lost interest"... it's ridiculous.

I normally don't, but I wanted to look for supplies and found her. I have enough money for food, dust and hay and a vet visit if something terrible happens and extra room for another cage.

I'm applying everywhere I can right now, so hopefully I'll get a job soon.

This wouldn't be a pity buy. I was thinking of getting a third girl, but it wasn't going to be for a while, then I noticed the ad.

Last edited:
Sorry, missed the "no job" part - I understand how you feel, I am halfway dreading graduation!...As long as you feel comfortable if some vet bill were to arise that you could handle it, I would go for it. If not then I wouldn't take her on...

Ugh, I just realized the listing is under "games/toys" and not the "pets" section. I really hope they did it on accident. There's no way she'll go to a good home if she's seen as a toy.

If you were looking for a new chin anyway and can afford extra expenses including emergency care then it sounds like a good fit for the both of you. As far as craigs list goes I think it sucks. If you decide not to get her just email the poster and let him know she is in the wrong section and maybe to contact you if he is unable to secure a good home for her.

I'd say not, wait until you have a secure job. There will always be chins that need a home.

Back