Tips for Travel?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjaturtletayy

So I have to head home for Thanksgiving and then again for winter break here shortly. It's about a six hour drive home from school. I was wondering if anyone can give me any tips to help make the journey easier on my little guy? Thanks!:bow:

Put him in a carrier with a bunch of loose hay and he will travel just fine.

Yep, I also am in college and I just made a 3 hour trip with my 3, I have done it multiple times. I just use a carrier that I line with fleece on the bottom to prevent chewing and I put a bunch of loose hay and some apple wood twigs. They are totally fine, they eat hay and chew for a while and then they always pass out and sleep the whole way. Just make sure the carrier is well ventilated and the car is not too hot. Also don't put them on the floor as I have heard it gets hotter than the rest of the car

If you think your chinnie will be a little stressed by the journey, make sure you put lots of familiar things in the carrier like a favourite toy, or even a sprinkle out of a dust bath - just so the scent and familiarity is calming for them :] make sure the car is nice and cool too!

Mine have been going camping in a trailer since the beginning of summer, they have their own cages, they have playtime, they do fine going on 4 hour plus car rides then staying in a new place. Just make sure they are in the car in a small carrier, not their cage.

Back