Tips about holding my chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TahlulahBelle

Constant Poop Vacuumer
Okay, I totally know that chins aren't always cuddly and want to be held. But I have held many other chins and my baby chin I've had for four months now simply cannot stand being held. She squeaks at me when I try to pick her up and squirms and gets upset even when I hold her up against me. I have spent lots of time with her every single night since I've got her. Last month she finally decided I could pet her and she loves being scratched around her neck and shoulder. Any tips to get her to be more accepting about being held? Or should I get over the fact that she doesn't like it.
Holly

Best thing is to give it time. I also agree with the above mentioned post, not all like to be held. I have a few here like that myself. During play time they will hop on me but that's the best they will do.

My chins love to sniff me and they crawl on me but they don't like being held. As a prey animal, I think it's against their instinct. I also have one out of four who tolerates being held but they are all happier running around me, sniffing me and jumping on me. I think there are some chins that are truly cuddly but I've yet to meet one personally!

I have 5 chins. The oldest one iv had for ~5 years. Not one of them likes to be held. My oldest in fact will freak out if he even thinks your attempting to pick him up.

His son Houdini, hates being pick up as well. He doesn't even like being scratched most of the time. But after two years, he JUST started to occasionally started to come over for a scratch and will slowly climb up my hand/arm bringing him out of his cage. (Effectively holding him.) Tho if i try to do that on my own, he'd freak.

So with him i usually just set my arm out in the cage and let him do as he pleases. Or ill lay my arm parallel with the cage bottom on the outside. So at the edge of the tray is my arm, then my body. And sometimes **** slowly come out using the arm as a floor.

I'm lucky that out of my four chins, 3 of them tolerate being held.
Gumby scoots off if I try to pick him up, but after I do, he stays pretty still.
Muffin is always crawling on and off my hand, sometimes when she wants out when it's not playtime, I take her, in my arms for a quick tour around the house, then I put her back in, that usually settles her down. Toffee also tolerates a fair amount of holding, she'll let you know when she's had enough.
Elmo, nah, he's not the cuddle type, he goes hysterical when u try pick him up. So I just let him be unless I have to pick him up.

Neither of my boys like being held at all. Rufus will tolerate about 2 minutes as long as you don't move at all. Zoidberg will tolerate longer, especially if there are other people over and he wants to check them out. It's kinda nice that Zoid will sit still for other people to pet him, because almost everyone that comes into my house wants to feel their fur. They definitely are not cuddly at all.

Thanks everyone for the insight :) Maybe she'll turn out to be a cuddly one. She definitely loves to jump all over me. haha.

Chins are all different, just like people. :)

My chin hates being held. She prefers to use me as a giant jungle gym but the moment I actually try to hold her she runs back to her cage. She's a brat and I love it :p

I have 5 chins. The oldest one iv had for ~5 years. Not one of them likes to be held. My oldest in fact will freak out if he even thinks your attempting to pick him up.

My oldest is the same way but he will come and visit me frequently during run time. :)

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

I've had my chin about a month and like you, whenever I try and told him he squeaks like anything and squirms. He likes climbing over my hand if I go to scratch him, and loves climbing on me during playtime. But holding? He seems to hate it =[ I try and hold him gently against my chest but he shakes like anything and squeaks and sems to hate it =[ poor love =[

The closest you may get to a cuddle is getting your chin to sit on your shoulder. Mine usually will stay there against my face for a little while.

I've only have my chin for about 4 weeks now. He's pretty much warming to us, still very skittish as he is a baby. My wife has recently discovered that if we go see him during the day, while he is sleeping, he is much less skittish. We are not forcinh him to wake up or coming towards us or anything. But if the cage door is open and we put our hands in, he will climb on to our hands and let us tickle him( provided that he is on a ledge not in his house) he absolutely enjoys being tickled, stroked and has no issue sitting on our hands. Infact he prefers it, even falls asleep on it. He will let us tickle him and pet him provided that we dont try taking him out of the cage. Lol. In the evening before 11pm he is just very jumpy, always bouncing around. But after that he'll come to us, dont like being held though, a little tickle is ok.

Back