Timothy Hay from a race track?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e.murphy518

I love my chinchildren!
I just called a local feed store near me because they have listed on their website timothy bales. I called and asked about them and they told me that they get the hay from Arlington Park Race Track. They don't know what cut it is or anything like that. Does anyone have any insight as to whether or not this would be okay to use?

Thanks

I'd be skeptical about using it- if it's from a track and they don't know cut or anything you don't know how old it is year-wise either, but even more worrisome you don't know what could have gotten on it. if there was a wreck/leak they could be chemicals on/soaked into the hay. That's assuming they're the bales lining the track. I guess they could hay the middle area of the track? But you could have chemical runoff that the plants are growing in then too... The whole thing just seems weird for a feed store to sell

The racetrack always gets the best stuff and I'd get it from them if you can. Probably cheaper. I find it amusing people are so set on the 'cut' nowadays, good hay is good hay. Go look at it, touch it and smell it. Up north you get 2-3 cuts, down here in the south you can get up to 6.

What makes good hay is the growing season, drought conditions and harvest conditions.

What makes good hay is the growing season, drought conditions and harvest conditions
.......and fairy dust, that is what makes that one blade of hay at the bottom of the hay holder taste good, and the rest is peed on.

What cutting the hay is makes no difference. Good quality hay is good quality hay. Look for nice green soft, fresh smelling hay. Horse hay is normally high quality. I would at least go look at it before deciding.

The average person has no idea what the difference is between first and third cutting. They wouldn't even know it if the hay was sitting right in front of them. If the hay is good quality - use it. If it isn't good quality - don't.

I think they mean it is extra hay used for feed, not on the actual track

whoops. not so many tracks around here. We had a small horse track that moved further away somewhere and the rest around here are car/motorized stuff tracks. The wrong kind popped into my head.

Back