Timothy hay cube brands?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you have a Tractor Supply Company near you? they carry bulk timmy hay cubes (Standlee brand) for a great price...

Does your TSC carry just timothy hay cubes? That's where we get our hay cubes as well, but ours only carries the Standlee Timothy/Alfalfa mix cubes, which is what we buy for our chins... it's in a red 40 lb bag, and our chins love em.

@greychins - yes, I am able to get timothy-only cubes from my local TSC (so yours should be able to order them if requested, I think) - the pellets I am feeding the fuzzbutts (Manna Pro SHO) are alfalfa based, so I try to shoot for a pure timmy hay for em, though I do periodically give some alfalfa hay if I am seeing some loose poops

I shop at PetSmart and I was wondering what timothy hay cube brands are reccomended.

I've only seen 1 brand of hay cubes at petsmart and it's made by Kaytee and I would not recommend it. I purchased it once a looong time ago and the chins never acknowledged them while in the cage and they didn't even smell like hay. Kaytee is not that great of a brand.

As far as a local TSC I am not even sure how to go about finding that out. And I noticed the only hay cubes at PetSmart were Kaytee's as well. I refuse to use anything by that brand so I've run out of reasonable ideas.

Should you get the regular tim/alf cubes or should you get the mini cubes? They have slightly different nutritional content.

TSC has the large Timmy pellets, too, and and about 5 different Standlee cubes. I've tried the alfalfa/Timothy cubes and the oat hay mix cubes. I really like the Standlee products thus far!

I get the large cubes. I feed cubes about once a week, and loose Timothy 3 times per week. I recently purchased the Standlee Timothy/alfalfa mixed bale of hay for my nursing moms and they get that daily while raising kits.

I'm only a few flakes into it, and this bale is not 50/50. More Timothy than alfalfa but the moms seem to really enjoy it. Enough alfalfa to keep them happy! And soft texture. I've ordered alfalfa in the past and it was too stemmy and coarse. They devour all of this, and its much more cost effective than shipping hay in. MUCH! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back