Time to update!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godofgods

After all this time i should finally be able to start updating my two chins cages. Its been kinda barren for a while now, but my social security disability was finally approved, so i can make some adjustments!

I'm sure ill have various things to ask or ask opinions of over time while I'm doing this, so i figured id make one generalized thread for it instead of a new one for each question.

These are the two cages as it stands now. Iv had to take out various things over time so its kinda even more barren then it was.

BothCages_05.jpg

Most of that yellow is fleece that is attached to the walls. Due to things like This I had to do something to try and make sure they couldn't eat my walls.
Theirs also a slab of fleece in between the cages because due to health problems i can not allow my male to see the females at all. Same for the little bit folded on the top of the right cage. It comes down to cover it up so they cant see out, while the girls are out to play.

As for the cages them selves, The girls cage is on the left, (mother and two daughters) - and the boys cage on the right (father and son).

---

Obviously i want to get rid of those plastic litter pans asap. At the time tho they were the only option i had since i couldn't afford anything new and i already had them from my ferrets. And covering the full tray was going through litter way to fast with those trays.

However iv yet to find something suitable to switch to. I know a lot of ppl use large dish type things for theirs but these chins (females especially) will toss those around like a rag, i don't care how heavy it is. I watched my chins move a full trash can around lol. They're channeling wonder woman i swear.

Metal corner pans would be nice, but iv only ever found one kind, but it doesn't attach to the cage. So they would be thrown around to. So still looking for options on those.

---

Room on the top floors are a little bit limited. Those huts are pretty big. The full size of the FN shelf. (girls hut is one inch smaller tho) And the wheels take up some room to. But the bottom floor only has litter and food/hay. So i definitely have that whole area to work with. Only snag their is that one of my males likes to pee on his hay.

Looking to get more food dishes and water bottles too. I went yesterday but they were out of the new bottles i wanted to get.

---

After almost a year, i just recently had to remove the girls fleece pillow and fleece liner for their hut/shelf. They started tearing it up a good bit. But i cant be to upset because theirs not much else for them to do yet.

---

Guess my first question to anyone that has them; are their any real down sides to the Bass Pans?
Iv often realized things about items long after you bought them, so figured id ask anyone thats had them for a while. Thats one of the first things i want to get. (Also my first male chewed a large whole under that corner pan before i took him in. So i need to just for that anyway.)
Have any of them had problems jumping from one floor to the second with those raises edges?

---

Sorry for the wall of text. Just figured id explain a few things just in case anyone was wondering. Any suggestions on things to add would be appreciated. (Be it equipment upgrade or items for entertainment)
I have to be a little wary, since my girls are kinda destructive, but that could also be just from frustration from lack of things to do.

Obviously i want to get rid of those plastic litter pans asap.
---

After almost a year, i just recently had to remove the girls fleece pillow and fleece liner for their hut/shelf. They started tearing it up a good bit. But i cant be to upset because theirs not much else for them to do yet.

---

Guess my first question to anyone that has them; are their any real down sides to the Bass Pans?

If the girls are destoying the platic litter pan I would be concerned and look into another option soon. If they leave the pans alone, you could probably leave them in there.. I have the plastic corner pans, but none of my boys chew on them, and a couple of them even love to sit on them like a throne while they eat their sticks and toys. If they ever started eating the pan they would be gone in a heartbeat.

Once your chins get some more safe toys and stuff to play with, hopefully the need to destroy will ebb.. Hammocks are a great way to take up room without being too in-the-way. It can take a while for the chins to warm up to using them sometimes. Cuddle buddies and stuffed toys around the size of a chin and made of safe materials are wonderful. Mine will lay on them like big lazy puffballs. Both sexes should enjoy those.

As far as a downside to Bass pans.. the only one I can think of is that they are a little bit difficult to pull out and spray off/scrub/clean if you put the bedding straight in there. I have to actually take the doors off my cage to pull the pan out, and since I have a higher than regular pan, it can take a little wrestling. But the chins love the cool metal to prop their paws up on when staring out the cage bars, and the pan definitely helps keep the mess inside the cage more, but does not elminate it completely.

I don't have the upstairs Bass pan with the cutout so I can't give an opinion on it. Have fun spoiling the furballs, but remember they don't have to have a completely decked out cage. You can work up to it a few pieces at a time.:thumbsup:

I love my bass pans. Can't wait to try the fleece liners. I have some on order. I use the top one with the cut out. I put a small leap between the opening and shelf it came with. I was afraid someone would get hurt. Works awesome. I currently fill the pans with shavings but will be going to a litter pan because it is messy!

I only have one on the bottom floor of mine. I don't have the second floor in there, it's all open but I love my bass pan. I have about half of the thrown hay/poop on my carpet every morning and it's easy to clean, but I use fleece so bedding may be hard like Chub Chub said because you can't just pull the pan out, it needs to come out of the top. Woodrow leaps right over the pan edges to run around in the living room (grr lol) so I don't think they'd have a problem with it on the second floor. I use a glass baking dish for a litter pan and these two have yet to flip it, it scoots sometimes, but I haven't found it flipped yet.

If the girls are destoying the platic litter pan I would be concerned and look into another option soon. If they leave the pans alone, you could probably leave them in there..

They leave them alone for the most part. But when they get annoyed, they will take their fustrations out on them. The ones against the door arnt attached on that side. So only one attachment on the other side is up. They will spend forever pawwing at them trying to throw them around.
Dispit leaving them alone for the most part, they chew/tear apart quite a bit. So id like to replace them anyway. Just in case

Once your chins get some more safe toys and stuff to play with, hopefully the need to destroy will ebb..
Im sure hopeing so!!

Hammocks are a great way to take up room without being too in-the-way. It can take a while for the chins to warm up to using them sometimes. Cuddle buddies and stuffed toys around the size of a chin and made of safe materials are wonderful. Mine will lay on them like big lazy puffballs. Both sexes should enjoy those.

Strangly enough, they are interested with jsut about anything i have put in their cages. Except their hammok and cuddle buddy lol. I had a hammok in each of their cages for a few months. They would never use em. Once in a while they would hop in for a min, but that was it.
As for cuddle buddies; my chins hate the one i have. They wont mess with it. (not happaly anyway) Their were times i would put it in the hut with them, every single time they would take it and throw it out of the hut into the litter. Then go back into the hut.

As far as a downside to Bass pans.. the only one I can think of is that they are a little bit difficult to pull out and spray off/scrub/clean if you put the bedding straight in there. I have to actually take the doors off my cage to pull the pan out, and since I have a higher than regular pan, it can take a little wrestling.

Well the origional plastic ones are annoying anyway so thatll stay the same lol. Hopely ill find a way to manage without taking the doors off tho. Putting them on is a pain!

I wish i could get the fleece liners. But i have no way to wash/dry it in this apt. Have to take laundry out, and thats only once every two weeks. So enough liners to go THAT long - for two, two story cages - for five total chins - that would add up just a bit...

sry for the multiple posts. These are the pans for a FN cage right? Hate to order and find out they were just a hair off from what i thought. They look like they will be very snug fit.

Well, i ordered those pans today. I'm also waiting on a response again from the Bass company. I was talking to them through emails. They said they could make Corner Metal Litter pans that would fit their FN trays they make. They said they need to work it out and would get back to me with a price. I also sent another email back asking about methods to attach them to the cage, yet simple enough to remove for easy cleaning. No response back yet on that.

Back