Time for separation?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceChinnie

To make a long story short, I've had my two females bonded since september (about 4 months now). I thought the introduction went well and there really havent been any fights (that I have seen) between the two.

My newer chin Cookie seems to be very dominant even though she is younger than her cagemate. She steals twigs and treats right out of the paws of Kiwi and seems to generally pester her about the cage. For example, if kiwi is on a ledge, cookie will jump onto the ledge and body bump her off. Cookie seems to be constantly "all up in Kiwi's grill." (as my friend puts it).:laughitup:
Over the last month or so, Kiwi is starting to lose some fur. She's starting to look rather raggedy and I thought before that she may have developed a chewing habit. Now it seems more like a combination of chewing and fur slips. I have only seen a few small clumps of her fur slips around the cage in the last week or so. (its definetly hers too, because she's a standard and cookie's a white)

So my question is this: is it time to separate? There havent been fights, but I cant watch them while I am sleeping. They seem to get along, but I'm worried about Kiwi's health, even though it is only cosmetic fur problems at this stage. Or should I wait another couple months since they are still somewhat newly bonded?

PS.They are sharing a FN142, and I can easily separate it.

If pictures of Kiwi's fur issues would be helpful, let me know and I will take some.
Thanks for your help,
SpaceChinnie

Stealing twigs and treats and such is normal. I have a very loving bonded mother daughter duo and the mom runs over her daughter to get treats and will take them from her. But there is no chasing, no fur slippage going on in the cage. I have two boys I had to separate and smalll tufts of fur in the cage is what I noticed first before the chasing started and then eventually biting.

You can keep a very close eye on them and hope it is nothing or you can separate now and know nothing could happen when they are unsupervised.

Back