Tiled Cage - so far, so awesome

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheena lee

With suggestions from you guys, I decided I would tile Chia's CN cage. I shopped a bit for tiles and with the size of the cage I would have ended up with really big spaces if I didn't get them cut... Obviously the hardware stores don't do it, so when I visited my parents today I went and bought a box of tiles ($10.38 for 16, I used only 12), and my dad cut them all to size!

Here's the result!! I'm really excited about this, her cage looks so classy.

IMG_2530.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

I'm putting the pee pan in tomorrow, I didn't have a chance today to buy one that fit in the area I'm gonna put it.

Wow! I never thought of that... I might have to try this myself. I was considering getting some tile for the "chin chiller" block but it didn't occur to me to do the whole floor like that.

What a great idea. I might have to make an adaptation of this myself. Thanks for sharing.

I love it, Going to have to go look at some tiles, Thanks for showing us how great it works!

Thanks I'm really happy with how it turned out!
I put some card stock like paper between the tiles and the metal grid floors to absorb some of the noise that would be made by ceramic clanking against metal, which is highly recommended if you wanna keep the noise down! I also put a little piece of fleece under the food bowl to prevent that ceramic-on-ceramic grating sound (at least temporarily.)

I'm sort of considering gluing down the bowl though... Anyone not reccommend that? lol I'm afraid that if she decides to throw the food down onto the bottom (and she will), it'll crack the tile and/or break the bowl...

I wouldn't glue the bowl because when comes time to clean it ...

Just an idea; but good strong velcro would do a good job and you would be able to remove it when comes cleaning time. Just make sure she cannot have access to it.

Maybe some have tried it and can give feed back on this.

Velcro is a much better (and less permanent) solution than glue! I have some sticky velcro strips, I'll test it out and see how it goes.

The indent on the bottom of the bowl should make it so she can't get at it.

For those with tiled cages: does your chin chew the tile? Cause Chia has been, and I wonder how I can stop her from doing that...

Looks awesome! Hooray for easy cleaning!

I would get a coop cup feed dish that you attach to the wall of the cage, to prevent her from tipping it. I would be too worried the chin could get at the velcro.

Looks good! I've been meaning to tile all my cages for awhile, but haven't found the time. May be a spring break project.

I like your cage....and the idea of the tiles is a great idea I would love to do that too for the summer even with AC it would be nice and cool....plus she wont have to walk on shavings only to do her private things !very nice job looks so nice and tidy

This is such a good idea! I might have to do tile for the bottom level of the fn and I'll keep fleece on the top! The only problem is, I don't know anyone who could cut the tiles for me.

My only question is about pee. Will it not soak into the tiles? I love the idea and the look of the tile, just a little scared. How do you clean the pee up?

For the most part mine use potty boxes, for accidents its easy to wipe up every night. Better to have a chin pee on tile than wood since it does not soak in, JMO.

When I had my FN cages I was considering getting one solid piece of granite to put on the bottom of the cage. But I never had the chance to do it. But I like your cage, your right it does look classy. Nice job.

Looks awesome!
None of my chins pee in one spot though so probably would not work so well for me as they would be walking in pee. I tried litter pans and they just go where they like, lol Maybe I will try with one cage and see how it works, I really like the idea!

Looks good! I've been meaning to tile all my cages for awhile, but haven't found the time. May be a spring break project.

That's exactly what it was for me! It actually didn't take very long, but I did have to go out of town to buy the tiles and get them cut.

Looks awesome! Hooray for easy cleaning!

I would get a coop cup feed dish that you attach to the wall of the cage, to prevent her from tipping it. I would be too worried the chin could get at the velcro.

I can't buy a coop cup in stores around here (well, I can, but only the plastic ones for birds), but I'm going to order one online. For now I put tiny velcro bits, like the picture below.

My only question is about pee. Will it not soak into the tiles? I love the idea and the look of the tile, just a little scared. How do you clean the pee up?

I got a Pyrex pan for wood chips - Chia mainly pees in one area and I figure the rest I can just wipe up quickly every morning. :)

My crafty adventures:
IMG_2533.jpg

Chia shouldn't be able to get at the velcro this way - if she does I'll remove it :)

IMG_2534.jpg

Pyrex pan with double sided tape and a piece of fleece, so it doesn't make a lot of noise when she'll inevitably drag it around...

Back