ticks,fleas,mites...and rabies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pantouffe

I was told... that because of their dense fur chins do not get these parasites. Is this true? I ask because I want to bring my babies from the Middle East to Ireland when our contract ends and there is a 6 month quarantine period for all rodents-to be served in a damp state cattery(!) Im so afraid they wont survive it! The rabies issue is one thing but I was told even if they have their vaccines they still may have parasites and so must be quarantined.

Is it possible to give Chins a rabies vaccine? One of my chins is microchipped already and I can have the other done too if I can get a passport for them that will clear them of Rabies. I dont want to do it unnecessarily obviously.

If I understand correctly the "state" takes care of the chins during the 6 months? The idea of that gives me chills. They can from what I was told by the rescue I work with get fleas and mites on the areas of the body the fur is thin such as the ears and legs. As far a rabbies, I have never heard of a vaccine being given to a chin.

I would not risk my chins in a 6 month quarantine, regardless of the rabies issue. Chins are not rabies vector animals. They don't "carry" rabies, which is the thing that the UK seems so terrified of. They can contract it, but so can you.

Foxes, skunks, raccoons, groundhogs, and bats are rabies vector species and can carry the rabies virus without showing any of the typical symptoms.

I really don't get what the UK's problem is with chinchillas. They act like they are these slavering beasts who will run rampant across the countryside, killing everything in their path. No, there is no rabies vaccine for chins, and I would not give it even if there was. It's like giving someone antibiotics when they are not sick. Unless you have an animal infected with rabies in your house, (and let's face it, that isn't a HUGE possibility because you would be infected and your chins would most likely have been killed) then giving your chin a shot would be pointless.

You may have to face the fact that your chins cannot go with you. Putting their lives at risk by putting them in a quarantine area for 6 months isn't fair to them. When I looked at moving to Ireland some years ago, there was a possibility of building a quarantine building on your own property, but that was for dogs who had had rabies vaccines and who had been microchipped by a vet. I don't know what their rules would be regarding caged animals.

Seriously, this issue pisses me off no end. They HAVE chinchillas in Ireland. Have they ever, even once, had a chinchilla diagnosed with rabies? Of course they haven't. Yeesh.

I've seen ticks, fleas and bird mites on chins. I have never heard of one with rabies.

All three are pretty rare, the house has to be seriously infested, and it's only on babies with less dense fur.

One of my friends wanted to take her dogs with her to Korea. Instead of their having to complete the quarantine, she sent ahead a blood sample, showing that they were clean. They didn't spend a single day in quarantine. Is there any way for you to check into sending a blood sample? I don't have high hopes for a chinchilla surviving a 6-month quarantine.

Thank you for your answers.
I will check out the blood sample idea.
What bugs me most is that the quarantine kennels I rang did not even know what a chinchilla was! I wrote to all sorts of people outlining our problem and got zip back.
I cant think of leaving the puff balls behind. The jack russell possibly...

Latest posts

Back