Thunderstorms?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jess32247

I'm curious what other people do during a thunderstorm or any kind of storm when they have a pet that is terrified of them. For the past hour, I've been sitting in the back room with our dog waiting for the storm to end. She's always been scared of storms and loud noises, so I sit with her till storms end. If I don't sit with her or show her a little attention, she'll try to hide behind the couch, under a bed, ect. She's even ran away once, something she's never done before.

So do you comfort them or leave them be? I don't think it's reinforcing her to act scared just for attention, she's always been a pretty timid dog.

Have you ever heard of Thundershirts? They work great for some dogs, but do nothing for others. They work on the premise of "swaddling" comfort, and claim to help dogs with various anxieties. They run around $40 and you can buy them from Petsmart, so that would be something I would try first. Didn't do a thing for my dog's separation anxiety, but I have heard some pretty great success stories with them too. They also make natural calming dog biscuits with chamomile and some other ingredients- once again, works for some, doesn't work for others.

If all else fails and the anxiety is really bad, you can talk to your veterinarian about some anti-anxiety medication. It sounds like this may be something to look into if the other options do not work. The most common drugs for noise phobias and anxieties prescribed are Diazepam (Valium), and Alprazolam (Xanax), among some others.

Last edited:
Some dogs may prefer to be crated when they are scared. My chihuahua doesn't mind a crate at all, and this works for the times she is scared. My dobie hates a crate, but when he gets scared, if he can hide under a table he feels a bit more secure. My dogs both hate thunderstorms. But any time they are nervous, I try to remain very calm and try not to reinforce any negativity when they are scared of something.

My American Eskimo pretends to not be scared, but she will sneak into a room to be with you when it is storming.

My poodle could care less. She tries to rub outside in thunderstorms.

My brothers Yorkie has to cuddle with someone.

My mom's dog shakes horribly and needs to be with her.

my sisters old cat used to crawl under the covers when it stormed. and if it was a bad storm he would pee all over the bed. though when he got older he got better.

my cat doesnt quite like storms so he hangs out with me. and needs me to reassure him sometimes. he also crawls under the covers though he does that more to play or get warm.
the dog and the chillas dont mind storms at all thy just generaly sleep through them.

Stackie, I have heard of Thundershirts, I will deffiently have to look into them more though. She does have medication to take on the Fourth of July when she gets really stressed out, it helps wonders.

It's hard not to comfort her when she's pretty much crawling into my lap, but sometimes putting her in the backroom alone with the washer/dryer going helps her calm down, I guess because she can't hear what's going on.

If you have a crate, you could always put a blanket/towel over it, having that 'cave' feel seems to help with a lot of the dogs I work with. We have quite a few that when it storms/fireworks we have to bring them to the basement and cover up the crates, it keeps them calm.

Our lab is terried and shakes so bad, even the slightest thunder, he shakes and needs to be held. Monday we had a horrible storm where lightening was right above our house and the thunder sounded like trees falling right outside. He was in bad shape. We asked the vet and got a prescription for zantax I think it was, I wasn't there but pretty sure thats the name. Were thinking about getting it and trying, My friends, friend had to do that because their dog was so scared. I too heard about those shirts and might look into it. But for now I just try to have the tv up a bit louder and turn the fan on, an even the AC if it's a little warm out and just hold him. He was able to fall asleep the other day when it wasn't horrible yet because I had my hands over his ears lol. I feel so bad for him.
Our yorkies and cats could careless.

I have a dog that will do anything to escape the noise of thunder. One time she got her 35 lb self stuff INSIDE a piece of cat scratching furniture and was very hot and panting when I found her. Valium didn't help but Xanax works wonders. I think less severe cases should try the thundershirt.

I have a dog that will do anything to escape the noise of thunder. One time she got her 35 lb self stuff INSIDE a piece of cat scratching furniture and was very hot and panting when I found her. Valium didn't help but Xanax works wonders. I think less severe cases should try the thundershirt.

Thats great to hear from someone who has tried xanax. Our dog would definatly be a severe case, but wasn't sure about trying xanax yet but glad to know from someone who has used that, that it does help some.

Back