Thoughts on a second chinchilla.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rini_San

I currently have one chinchilla. He is 3 years old. I've had him for 2 years. He was a rescue chinchilla who came from one of those families where parents think it's okay to get their irresponsible 9 year old an exotic animal. He lived in a small plastic cage with no toys or chews, a ton of small children, and cats and dogs. Needless to say he was a wreck of fear and unhappiness when I rescued him.

But boy has he changed since then. Totoro loves to petted, and scritched, he likes his ears massaged, his chin massaged, his nose massaged, his tail massaged, and in general being petted all over. He's not so big on being held, but he will let me pick him up if I need to.

I love him so much, that I want another one. I have a FN 182 on the way, Totoro currently lives in a feisty ferret that I would like to retire. Either of these cages I know are large enough to house two chinchillas, but I was wondering since I'm about to get a new cage if introducing chinchillas would be easier. Do any of you have experience introducing adult males with traumatic pasts to a cage-mate?

I know that introducing chinchillas is a risky and time consuming business. I already have two cages, but if at all possible I'd like for them to be cage-mates. I think it would be good for Totoro to have someone to play with besides me. Unless I'm physically playing with him, all he will do is sit in one spot in his cage and be a furry lump. It worries me that he will sit in the same spot for hours at a time and just stare in my direction. I know he loves me and my husband, and we play with him as much as we can, but there's still the lonely time between sleeping and work that my boy has no one.

Should I delve into the process of rescuing another chinchilla with intent to be his cage-mate, or should I just let my lonely boy be?

Many chins are happy alone and some actually prefer that. If you get another chinchilla be sure to get the same sex so you don't have oopsy babies and be aware they may never get along. So a 2nd cage might be needed long term.

I also have a single chin named Lola and have thought of getting another chin for company for her. Lola is really well socialized and has bonded very well with us like your little guy.

I thought about having to tend to two cages if I got another and they did not bond well. After a great deal of thought I decided to keep to being a single chin family. We play with her twice a day. When friends come over there are added people who want to play with her as well. We moved Lola into our Den / Office so she is a part of the action in the home and gets tons of attention.

The question you need to ask yourself is: Are you willing to have your little guy more bonded to another chin than you? I have read often that when another chin is introduced the dynamics can and often do change.

Lola has a stuffed cuddle buddy and is most active at night. She sleeps and plays with her "friend". She also has fleece hammocks, den (hut) and tunnels that keep her interested and active.

We play hide & seek with her treats and she actually plays and frollics in her cage. I find that I have to be creative to keep things interesting for her and it adds to our bonding.

It's a personal choice that you need to weigh all the pros and cons before you make the decision that is right for you.

I thought about getting a second chin too, but I know how tough it can be. You almost have to let your chin choose his new friend, not you choose another chin & hope it works out. My chin has a stuffed buddy & he either beats it up (bites it & throws it around) or ignores it, so he might not take too kindly to another chin. Maybe get a stuffed buddy first & see how he reacts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I'm wishing it were that simple! My chins are separated and they both have stuffed buddies. The one that treats his buddie the nicest (cuddles, grooms, calls to when in the wash!) is the meanest when he smells the real thing.

If you add a chin or two, be prepared to house them separately for life. If they bond, great! But they could just as easily unbond later, so just be prepared.

I'm not really concerned about him loving another chin more than me. I'd really like two chinchillas, because I love their furry butts. I'd really like to retire the feisty ferret cage. I suppose I could permanently separate the FN 182 if I had to, and just get another silver surfer. If they don't bond.
I don't know, it's just a really hard decision =/.

It all depends on your chin. I ended up deciding on getting a second chin to keep my ernie company about a year ago. I knew both had a history of being good cage mates with other chins but it's always a chance they might not like each other!

My two got a long good though and are still best of buds! (though they sometimes get into verbal fights and yell at eachother...haha) I would say just go with what your gut is telling you and you never know what new buddy you will find!

I want a second chin too! However, I'm afraid they won't get along & I don't want to have to split my double FN. There is a really pretty white mosaic (I think, gray & white) at my local Petsmart, but I asked the worker if they were males (since mine is a male) & he said, "I have no idea." So... I definitely don't want a gender mix-up & surprise babies! Ugh!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Latest posts

Back