This is Mya :)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peaceful1

This is Mya . She is supposedly 1 year of age. I've had her since Monday night and I saved her from the smallest cage ever at petsmart. I'm so happy to say she is starting to let me rub under her chin! Mya is still jumpy when I go to touch her sides though. I'm so glad she came into my life she is such a sweetheart :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 49
Mya's a cutie! Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of chin ownership!

Lots of time and taking it slow and I'm sure she will come around! Sounds like you are off to a great start, congrats! She is cute!

Yes, patience, patience and even just sitting next to her cage when you are reading or doing anything quiet - the more she gets used to you the better things will be! Like rabbits, in the wild, chinchillas are prey for nearly everyone else, so their shyness is actually a smart thing for them.

Very cute little one you got there. :))

When I brought home Taz, I sat in from of the cage with the door open and just talked to him. I was there for about 20 minutes before he finally came to the front and didn't dart back when I brought my hand up. Four days later now he's looking for my hand and willingly climbs aboard. So yes, time and patience is really all they need. :))

What a sweet girl. Love her pretty little face. :wink3: I know she will be spoiled rotten.

One day she will run to the door when you come into the room. Sit on your hand when you put your hand in the cage. Down the road she will groom the hair on your arm and if her manner is sweet, she will groom your eyelashes and brow line. Hee Hee.

Be prepared for the odd questions to come in regards to chin ownership.
Is that a rabbit? What are you going to do with it? Make a coat? Do people eat them? Do you have to brush their teeth? :laughitup:

She's beautiful. Congratulations.

When Lola was dropped off with us she was in the same cage. We have since changed to the Critter Nation 2 story cage and swapped out all the plastic for wood.

Just be careful with the plastic in the cage. When she starts chewing on it you will need to swap it out for either wood or metal shelves.

I'm on the lookout for wood and metal shelves as we speak. I'm being as patient as possible I'm starting to hand feed her a little and she seems to be getting a little more bonded with me.

Mya is still jumpy when I go to touch her sides though. I'm so glad she came into my life she is such a sweetheart :)

With a new chin that is still adjusting to new ppl and a new environment, they could be skiddish about touch for a number of different reasons. But id also like to add that i have several chins that each have there own certain areas that they do not like being touched. So it could also just be that she doesn't like that specific area being touched. Only time will tell tho. Its just something more to pay attention to.

Latest posts

Back