Thinking about getting chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cassiechinlove225

Hi! I've been thinking about getting 2 chinchillas for awhile now but have some concerns. One is the temperature problem. We do have air conditioning but I know my parents won't let us run it all summer long. So my only thought is the basement which is cool and has a dehumidifier but is an unfinished basement with only 1 window cement floors and rock walls (I live in an old farm house). I just want to make sure they would be comfortable down there and with not a lot of light would they mind that? If they would be okay down there in the summer that would be awesome but In the winter (here's my next question) I would want them in the spare bedroom next to mine so I'm closer to them. But would changing their location from summer to other months make them stressed out? They would still be in the same cage though. Any info would be awesome, thanks!
One more thing if anyone knows. I have an 8 year old Boston terrier who has never had another animal in her home would that make her stressed? I would keep them separate all times but don't want my dog uncomfortable in her own home.

Hi! Chinchillas make great pets, so I am glad you are considering getting some. Temperature and humidity is important for chinchillas, since their native homes usually stayed around 50-60 degrees. Chinchillas in homes do best in temperatures of 60-70 degrees, but anything higher can be very stressful, and once the temperature reaches 80, they are at high risk of fatal heat strokes and other problems. They also need to stay in humidity levels between 40-60%. Using the proper tools and keeping a thermometer nearby will help assure a comfortable living space. Changing their location will probably not be a huge problem as long as they are always in the same cage. When you move the cage, just put them in a small pet carrier, then put them back in when you are done. As long as there aren't huge temperature changes, they won't be stressed.

Some dogs (like mine, thank goodness) completely ignore my pets. He can pass them by without sparing them a glance. Other dogs may try to hunt them, which can cause stress to both animals. As long as you keep the chinchillas separated from your dog, I'm sure she'll be just fine.

If you have any questions, please reply! Thanks!

The temp has to be below 75F, if it gets above that the chins can die. Also the humidity needs to stay below 50%, or the chins will get sick and possibly moldy. If you can't guarantee those environmental conditions 100% of the time I wouldn't get chins.
Also can you put a light in the basement for the chins? Maybe on a timer or something so they can get light? In the summer time the room my chins are in the only window has an ac in it and is covered so they only have the over head light and are fine.
Another thing with the basement is will you be able to spend at least an hour a day (ideally more) everyday down there with them? Chins are very social creatures and being isolated can make them depressed.

They would be fine moving from basement to upstairs, a few people do that to help cut down on power bills. Just make sure that even in the winter the room upstairs doesn't get above 75F.

As far as the dog, I would make sure they never met, I don't know too much about Boston terriers, but most of those small terrier type dogs have a high prey drive and could try to kill the chins. The chins would probably be more afraid of the dog then she is of them. Especially if you never had any other animals in the house the dog could see the chins as an invader in her territory. How does she react to squirrels and other animals outside? That might give you a clue as to how she will react to the smell of rodents in the house.

Just another thing to mention, you didn't ask about it but keep in mind that chins vet bills get expensive quickly. If your parents aren't ok with running an ac all summer, are they willing to spend a couple thousand on vet bills? or do you have a money set aside in case of an emergency? They don't need to go to the vet often but even a simple vet visit can run into the hundreds since chins are exotics.

Back