Things for new chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peanutbutter15

ok so I wanted to know what are some things I should get for my new chin(s). Also please could you tell me where you can get these things.Thanks so much!

Are you talking about supplies in general, or toys, or feed, or...? You're going to need to narrow it down.

A basic set up includes a chin-safe cage, recommended pellets, hay, some wood chews, and dust (or at least that's all that comes to mind). Do a search here on the forum for any of those to get an idea of what type you need and where you can get them.

If you're talking about things to put in a cage, most chins like a variety of wood shelves to hop around on, and some like hammocks and fleece tubes as well. You might consider a bridge, wheel, or hidey-house, too. People put a lot of things in their cages (as you probably saw in the thread I linked you too from your other thread), but your particular chin may or may not like the same things as theirs.

I hope this helps.

thanks cheeknnudol for the help!and your right I should narrow it dowm a bit!ok well i guess supplies in general.

If you live in Canada then you should check out flowertown chinchillas, their owners karen and dave and their website http://www.chinchilla.ca/index.php
their supplies are most likely cheaper than petstores and they can guide you through your shopping.
most buys :
Food, I use Mazuri but I think Oxbow is good too and some other brands.
Hay, I`ve heard some bad things about Kaytee hay but then again it`s your choice. Feed your chin Timothy hay as the main hay and some others as treats
Bedding, I use aspen but I think you can use carefresh as well though I`ve never tried it. Just never use cedar and scented bedding. (or bedding that isn`t for chinchillas)
Some people also use fleece but I don`t know anything about that.
Dust for their bath, I heard that blue cloud is really good.
wood chews and a ka-bob to put them in

For their cage you need a lot of places for them to jump around so ledges are good, if your cage is big enough you could get some tunnels, tubes, and hammocks.
If you can`t take you chin out everyday for at least half an hour then you should get a wheel. (I`ve heard the best ones out there is the ChinSpin and the flying saucer. The metal kind.)
You also need some sort of hiding house that`s made of wood.
You need a good water bottle that doesn`t leak (obviously)
A dish/bowl for the food that can clamp on to the wire of the cage so it doesn`t fall over or a really heavy ceremic dish.

Lastly (that I can think of) you need lots of toys for them otherwise they`ll get bored and may develop some issues.
Good luck :D

Latest posts

Back