The wheel is too big!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChonchoMom

So I finally got my sweet Choncho a Chin Spin and I was so excited to get home from work and put it in his cage....it wont fit in the door!
Now what?

Any ideas? there are three levels and three openings but all three are too small for me to fit the wheel inside the cage.

I took some pictures to show the cage, its not a FN cage, just a cage that someone who used to have their chins in. Mine has had it for about a year now and seems really happy in there.

HELP!

Attachments

• IMG_3533 (768x1024).jpg
    IMG_3533 (768x1024).jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3534 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_3534 (1024x768).jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 84
Can you lift the cage off of the bottom tray and install it that way? I need to also add that those ramps should be taken off asap, don't want a toe or foot caught in those ramps.

Oh gosh, Ok, will take off the ramps asap. would it work if I put fleece over the ramps? I'll take a look tomorrow and see if I can get the bottom to come off, Thanks for the input!

You can cover the ramps with fleece. I'd also add a few chinchillers to each level so that he's not always hopping on wire mesh. Additionally, that plastic igloo should be replaced with a wooden hidey-house as soon as possible. Chins shouldn't have any plastic in their cage, as it could result in a blockage when ingested. It looks like he's already chewing it, so that's definitely a high priority.

I had that cage, I removed the bottom mesh and installed a ED wheel-it was close so measure the chin spin vertically and make sure it will fit!

I've had cages like that. The wire mesh on the bottom is held on with small clips or rings. Cut them with a wire cutter and the mesh will come right out. Chins love to jump from shelf to shelf. It is what is natural for them. If you can get to the ramps to take them out, that would be best, but if not, covering them with fleece will be fine as long as your chin doesn't chew the fleece.

Oh. of course.....I took Cuddlebugs advice and while Choncho was playing I cleaned out his cage, turned it on its side and cut the bottom out. ok, well, half of the bottom, then opened it and put his wheel in. I also took out one of the ramps. I am going this weekend to the lumber store to get the wood and my husband is going to help me make shelves for him to jump up on, then I may gut the whole cage and refit it with jumping shelves and all the other fun stuff I've ordered from Shooper.

He loves his wheel and I'm excited because he's just plain happier with all the new stuff in his cage.

To save yourself some time you can also cut wood to fit the wire shelves, and mount them with carriage bolts, wingnuts and washers, but yeah those wire ramps have to go! Sounds like Choncho is on his way to being very spoiled!

I thought he was spoiled...then I found this forum and I was WAY off! hehe, Glad I got here.
He'll be all set up by this weekend.

Sounds like you got some great advice :) It's nice when people are receptive to what chinchillas need, got for you! Sounds like your chinchilla will have a perfect home soon!

Back