The vet found out that 1 tooth is....

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nibbysmom

I just took my chinchilla to the vet because I suspected malocclusion. The vet found out that 1 tooth is growing sideways into her tongue. I read a lot of sites that recommended euthanizing the chinchilla if malo is diagnosed.

The vet sounded hopeful that we could file down that tooth and keep a close eye on things. She said we'd have to file it down regularly depending on how fast it grows (2month - 8months in between visits).

I really didn't want to give up on Nibby. Is filing her teeth regularly a good option? Or was I being taken for my money by the vet?

did the vet take xrays?? typically if there is excessive tooth root issues than euthanasia may be considered. i think the vet has a good course of action. if you find you are going back every month to get the tooth filed than that is a bit much but if she can last 3 - 6 months that is not too bad IF that is her only issue.
hopefully the vet prescibed a mild antibiotic in case she has any abrasions on her cheek from the crooked tooth. often a pain reliever is prescribed because the filing can cause discomfort for a few days. i definitely would not give up yet on Nibby!

Thank you so much for your response. I'm also glad you felt so far that is a good course of action. I will be picking her up tomorrow from the animal hospital. I'll see if I can get a pic of the xray to share here.

I have two right now with one tooth the causes a issue, Dante has a right upper rear molar that is slightly out of alighnment and grows to his cheek in 6 or 7 months, his filing takes 10 min and he eats that evening, the other one was just diagnosed yesterday by the dentist, Lu also has a right upper molar the is tilted rearward and developed a point at rear where the upper and lower jaw meet and caused a "hole" that was knarley looking (long story on why it got that bad before he got to the dentist), the vet felt he will also be on a 6 month schedule . As long as we are talking about a few months between filings, the chin bounces back to normal in a day or so and you make sure you get the chin in before the nasty symptoms show up I would wait and see what the future holds.

Last edited:
Oh good to hear success story for a the same type of issue ticklechin. I've picked up Nibby earlier today, turned out she needed a molar and incisor trimmed. Vet also said one of her back molars fell out on its own during the operation, which leads me to wonder why not just pull these bad teeth thats what I did for myself lol. They mentioned her having "wave teeth" so to be aware of any symptoms in the future, so we can address them quickly.

Shes got antibiotic (Trimethoprim-sulfa), pain relief/anti inflammatory (Metacam) and food (Oxbow Critical Care formula). Overall she appears to be doing very well. Shes loves the food! She more active than I was expecting on the first day back from vet :)

I've already setup direct deposit into another bank account to prepare for ongoing maintenance (this bill was $604), a small price to pay for my Nibby baby.

Wave mouth is difficult to deal with once it has occured, it means the occlusion (chewing surface) is not horizontal on a straight plane but wavey-it makes chewing hay harder since the grinding motion of hay is circular. The loose tooth also can be a symptom of more loose teeth to come. The crowns of the molar and incisor were also trimmed so there is chewing issues since those overgrew.

Does she like hay? How old is she? What were the symptoms that lead up to the vet visit? What does she weigh?

in addition to what dawn has mentioned, if Nibby likes Hay, try adding some Alfalfa Hay to her diet. Chins love the flavor/taste and it gets them chewing & wearing the teeth down a little. Sounds like the vet prescribed all the right stuff and Nibby is on her way to feeling better.
also would like to hear the answers to these questions as it may help get her to the vet before symptoms start:

Does she like hay? How old is she? What were the symptoms that lead up to the vet visit? What does she weigh?

eta: one of my vet visits was closer to $800 and my chin also had a tooth that fell out.......it happens and it is best to be prepared. it is refreshing to hear you discuss the direct deposit for future medical bills.

And BTW, Dante one of my dental chins is 17 and a half years old, so dental chins can live a long time!

Back