The search for the Quietest Wheel

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teambayern

I've had a Chin Spin for about 5 years now and the thing is really showing it's age. It is loud, wobbly, and the powder finish is half gone. In looking at new wheels, the priority is finding something quiet, as I have a Chin Mansion that rocks and rattles so loudly that it is difficult to watch TV with them in the room.

I've narrowed my search to two contenders: the Silver Surfer and the Flying Saucer. Both get good reviews, but which one takes the prize for stealthiest chin wheel?

(Side-question: is the 14'' Silver Surfer really big enough for chins? I know it's popular here, I just want to double check because it's smaller than the Chin Spin they have now). Thanks!

we have several silver surfer wheels and one chin spin (and one flying saucer, but Bug is not quite sure what to do with it yet besides an extra cool techno perch... and poo holder...)

it's a toss up on which is quieter - the chin spin seems to mount more securely in our FNs but the surfers seem lighter (and incidentally, plenty big enough for the chins - we have have several healthy medium sized chins (625-650g) running on them) - one thing I noticed with surfers, is that you have to make sure you have mounting right - we had our first one a bit off (didn't have top hooks seated firmly on cross bars) and got some crazy wobble from it... cuff call, overall, surfers seem quieter than the chin spins - can't really say anything about the saucer till Bug actually tries RUNNING on it...

I have a saucer in my FN142. Charlie loves it and runs every night! I mounted it close to a corner where it is very sturdy and it's pretty quiet! Inca however, has never touched it (not sure if he even had a wheel bebore I got him). I have a saucer in my rat cage too, even my ratties fly on it!

I have the QC Townhouse and the ChinSpin. After moving around quite a few times, somehow the last time I put together the cage, I found that the sound of the ChinSpin has gone down. I think I might have to do with the number of plastic ties used at the base, arrangement of shelves, and I guess I must have tightened the center nut of the ChinSpin well this time since the rattling has gone down significantly. The cage is also on carpet, which may help keep the noise down.

Have you tried any of the above to help lower the noise?

I have Ed Spins, Chin Spins (which haven't been used), and Silver Surfers. We have a two story house and the chin room is outside. I can hear the chins on the Silver Surfer and never had problems with the Ed Spins.

In my opinion my chin spin and surfer are equal in noise. I replaced my surfer's original washer with something much larger, but it still makes some noise.

Jeremy, GorillaJTA, drilled a hole in his chin-spin so that it could be bolted (and imobile) when he needed the peace and quiet. Maybe you could do something like that for when you want to watch TV? They'll survive without their wheel for an hour or two ;-)

I had a chin spin...and then I got two silver surfers (in a FN). The surfers are MUCH quieter than my chin spin was, even with brand new bearings.

Thanks. I ordered a new bearing from QC and will give that a shot. If it isn't 100% better, I'm getting a SS.

i only have a saucer. no noise at all. but i also think its because the bars are very secure so no bars are like hitting against each other. my chinnies love it. took a while to get used to tho. hehe

I've got a flying saucer mounted to my Chinchilla Mansion. The saucer by itself is very quiet, except for their feet hitting the metal. (which sounds dainty and adorable) The mansion is what makes all the noise. That rocking and rattling wont go away with a saucer. :(

I have the grape escape (Same thing as the silver surfer....just purple....lol) And I find them to be pretty dang quiet......

Latest posts

Back